Thread: 100-Quick-Packer

Question 100-Quick-Packer

Goning on a moose float in 09 and I'm taking my badlands 2200 pack but thought of bringing a pack frame for back up. Just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these Quick packer frames.
    http://www.montanamountainhorse.com/..._15797172.html

Default Looks small

That pack looks kinda of small, I heard those moose legs are pretty big. Just my 3rd grade opinion.

Terry

That pack looks kinda of small, I heard those moose legs are pretty big.
    I have to agree. The company says they guarantee the pack up to 100 pounds. Moose quarters from a mature bull will weigh more than that.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Packs

When it comes to down to packing big moose quarters it is really hard to beat a big and tough external pack frame. A big moose quarter will go over 100 lbs. I do not plan on packing one again if I can avoid it. I am getting old.

Default Close

My best advice - shoot your moose close to your raft so you don't have far to move it. Then take your deer drag, leave the hide on the rear quarters, and DRAG them to the raft. If you want, take one of those plastic sleds (usually used for deer) to make the drag easier.

Don't shoot where you need to move the moose through tussocks though.

An outfitter in Bettles told me he won't shoot any moose he can't call to a sand bar on the river. I don't go quite that far but, at 73, I don't pack any 100+pound moose quarters any more either.

I have friends in Montana that use them on elk. They carry a small day pack with that inside. If they get one down, they pull it out and put it together. Works slick on elk at least. Not sure on moose though.

Use the stoutest external pack frame you can afford. I've seen moose quarters just destroy lesser frames. Wouldn't even attempt to use anything else.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Barney's frame!!!

That's the only frame I would use if I had my choice. Trust me unless you've tried it with a lesser pack you don't know how painful it can be. BTW good to see someone here from Liverpool. I'm originally from B'ville. Jesse

i've weighed moose rear quarters off 50"+ bulls and found them around 150lbs....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212