Thread: 400gr. Hawk/400gr. Kodiak/400gr. Sierra

Default 400gr. Hawk/400gr. Kodiak/400gr. Sierra

UGH!!! Me not know which bullet to load fer bear!!! My main concern is PERFORMANCE ON GAME. Cost, looks, and nats ***** accuracy aren't that important to me, as there will not be any long range shots. Leaning towards the Kodiak, love the fact that they are Alaskan. Like the Hawk idea of soft lead and jacket for a "flowing" mushroom effect. Sierra is last resort, as I have personally seen jacket separation with my own tests. I drilled Mr. spike/fork with three 440 hardcast from Ranger Rick two seasons ago, two pass through and the third opened to .860" and lost no weight. Perfect performance, yet I still somehow think there needs to be jacketed, high dollar slugs exiting my barrel.

help

Quote Originally Posted by gotAKfever View Post
    UGH!!! Me not know which bullet to load fer bear!!! My main concern is PERFORMANCE ON GAME. Cost, looks, and nats ***** accuracy aren't that important to me, as there will not be any long range shots. Leaning towards the Kodiak, love the fact that they are Alaskan. Like the Hawk idea of soft lead and jacket for a "flowing" mushroom effect. Sierra is last resort, as I have personally seen jacket separation with my own tests. I drilled Mr. spike/fork with three 440 hardcast from Ranger Rick two seasons ago, two pass through and the third opened to .860" and lost no weight. Perfect performance, yet I still somehow think there needs to be jacketed, high dollar slugs exiting my barrel.

help

Let me guess the caliber is 500 S&W? No?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default yup

500 magnum it is

Which 440 was it on the moose? Was it the 90% meplat bullet?

I doubt a jacketed bullet will do any better than the Cast and will surely penetrate less (typically but not guaranteed).

If your just looking for something different check out the Barnes XPB.

Pics are from this thread, post #7 http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=28300
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default hard cast vs. jacketed

So here i am at a much earlier dilemna. The hard cast was indeed Ranger's 90% meplat, a certain sledgehammer. I knew that penetration was going to be maximum, but I am a firm believer in dumping as much energy into the animal as possible. Mushrooming was something I never expected the 440 to do, as it must have hit heavy shoulder/upper leg bone(not sure why i didn't inspect). Great bullet for the moose, but I want a bear to "feel" a lot more if I get my broadside dream shot. Sooo, purchased a box of 400gr. Kodiak today at lunch, and promptly cut one in half, lengthwise. Impressive construction to say the least. A nice heavy jacket with the bonded core. Now, in a perfect world, they will shoot the same as the cheapo Sierras, and I'll have my game load and a range load.

Still love the fact that the Kodiaks are AK made!!!

Still open to any other ideas.

That moose felt all there is to feel from a 440 grain 500 S&W. Perhaps all there is that the 500 has to offer. The fact the bullet stayed in the moose proves that. A bullet with a smaller meplat will penetrate farther and theoretically hit less hard if it penetrates on through.

I think the Ranger Rick bullets are just soft enough to mushroom a little unlike the typical solid hardcast bullet.

I was concerned that the 440 with the 90% meplat may not penetrate far enough but I am glad to hear it will go through a moose. I do not hunt anything larger than moose. There may be no reason whatsoever to use a heavier bullet than that in the 500S&W.

I shoot a handi rifle. Some of the velocities I have gotten are:
    1926 FPS with the 400 sierra,
    1589 FPS with the 500 gr Hornady,
    1890 FPS with the 440 Cast performance Gas checked,
    1935 FPSwith the 375 Barnes XPB.

I have also loaded 250 grain muzzleloader sabots at 2400 FPS(they dont group for nothing).

I am currently working on a 610 grain load at @ 1450 FPS.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".