Thread: September to remember trip!

Talking September to remember trip!

Hey guys,
    I am a newbie on this site and have already really enjoyed reading the wealth of info out there. Although I have been to the Kenai area to fish Kings, Silvers and Reds a couple dozen times, last year was my first Trout trip. I am coming back 9/12/08 9/28/08. I did a trip last year with the great folks at Trout fitters and will be joining them again for a couple days this year. Although I will be fishing mostly for trout, I will be set up to do some steel head and silvers fishing depending on what you all recommend. I am staying in the Kenai/Soldotna area so Deep, Ninilichik & Anchor are within a short drive as well as the Upper Kenai. I have read Flies for Alaska and Flyfishing Alaska by Route as well as the Highway Angler by Pederson so I have some idea.

My understanding is Quartz creek closes on the 15th so I would like to start there. How is this stream at that time and where do I access it from?

Last year I did not fish the Russian but was hoping to fish it, any thoughts? Also are the silvers worth trying?

Any thoughts on the silvers and SH on other rivers/streams?

Sorry for being long winded but I am really excited to get back up there and feel the pull of a Alaska native as there is nothing else like it! Thanks in advance.

the russian should be good that time of the year, although if the reds are gone, it seems like the rainbows are gone too. that happened to me last year, spent two days on the river and only caught 1 silver(was a very nice silver.) the weekend before that I caught fish every other cast. I think it will depend on when the reds are in, and thats been kinda whacky the past couple years.

Default books...

Get "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. Best book out there for telling you where to go. There is a whole chapter on the Kenai area. Maps, maps, maps... Like 140 in the book. It is for sale on the forum store (top of page). Go to the fishing section of the store and it is on the second or third page I think. "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." by Tony Weaver is another great book. Each chapter is about a species of Alaska sportfish. Great book.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quartz creek has excellent fishing in the fall. Not a ton of bows but some nice fat dollies and plenty of them. You can access it right from the highway. There are about a half dozen pullouts along it and just park and start fishing. The one thing though is BEARS. The last couple of years I have seen numerous Grizz's running around that area. The brush is still thick and hard to see. Just use common sense and be safe. Ill be on the upper kenai from the 15-28 of september. I base camp out of the russian and float everyday. Shoot me a pm I always have a spot open 1 or 2 days of the week in my 2 person cat and I love to fish other people. Im not a guide no charge no strings attached. (ok maybe a beer after the trip) Also there is always a fire at camp in the evening and lots of friends and stories. I camp in the rainbow trout loop at the russian around site 59. Just look for the Alaska Aces Flag, The buffalo bills flag and the blue raft and white silverado with fish stickers all over it. My invatation is open to all of those on here to stop by in the fall. Oh and the russian has good rainbow fishing and is a decent silver spot with easy access. Good luck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

AlaskaChuck,

Pencil me in for a couple days, bring your makeup....see you in Hope on the weekend of the 4th.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Wink Deal

You got a deal on the september thing too Jedi. The nice thing is I have access to a drift boat during those days too that will fish 3 plus me rowing too. Makeup will be there and you will see us in hope on july on the 4th. On the 5th were are fishing with some friends on the Talkeetna. Let me know when your getting in friday. We dont have to be in talkeetna untill 4 on saturday the 5th. So we will be there for sure on friday to fish, bs and have some fun. Easy ride for us since hope is just down the street. If there weather is nice the wife ill have here nissan 350z roadster convertible there. That is one sweet car on the road to hope. Of course she does the speed limit

hey Chuck I see you guys there every year, I always remember the Aces flag! We normally camp in the loop across the way from you guys, can't remember which one it is though. I'll be trying to camp there as many weekends as I can this fall with the new raft, just gotta find some time with classes starting then.

Default Griff

Feel free to come say hi, have a cold beverage and kick back and relax. No matter if it is june, july august whateve. Our flags fly, our fire is open. if we are sitting there all is welcome

Talking Thanks Guys!

Thanks for all the great info. I will buy the recommended literature and read up. Alaska Chuck I will send a PM to you as I would like to stop by your camp and swap a few lies (i'll bring the beer) and also if we get a chance to wet the lines, even better!

Default ok airtime

shoot me a pm and I can give you dates im at the russian this summer and other trips planned,. Your more than welcome to stop by and share a lie or 2 and a cold one is always one of my favorites