Thread: American pioneer powder

Default American pioneer powder

Has anyone found a place in Alaska to buy the American Pioneer powder that Jim Shockey puts his mug on? I tried to have some shipped up here and they wanted a $70.00 Hazmat fee. Sportsmans would order it, but wanted me to purchase $250.00 dollars worth. Maybe a group buy is in order.

For the folks that have used this powder, is the all the rave about no cleaning for a billion--trillion shots true?

Default AP Powder

Hey AFHunter - I use the Pyrodex pellets myself, so am not giving you firsthand info. BUT, a few guys at the range I frequent tried it, and according to them, they weren't getting near the same accuracy they got with other powders, so they both quit using it.

I didn't think to ask them about the cleaning issue, hope someone else has input for you.

I picked some up at MT View Sports in Anchorage.
    Have not tried it yet but hope to soon

For the folks that have used this powder, is the all the rave about no cleaning for a billion--trillion shots true?
    I've never used American Pioneer. But if you want "clean", Hodgdon Triple 7 is probably about as clean as it gets. I use it in a Lyman .54 GPR. The fouling I get from it is maybe slightly heavier than what one would get after a day of shooting smokless. There's no sulfur smell......it's actually a non-odor and it really does disolve with water making clean up very easy.

T-7 is also about 15% hotter per dose than BP or the other substitutes so you have to dial back your charges some.

Mine shoots clover leafs with 80 grains and PRB and I'm getting the velocity I would from about 90-95 grains or so of BP. I'm putting it on a chrongraph this summer to get some hard numbers.
    Now what ?

Great Northern Guns has it and so does mountain view sports. I just picked up a can of 3f. Shot it some today at rabbits. Didnt get any. Its real clean ill tell you that. Running a patch down the bore after a shot only turned it grey colored..Not any residue on it to speak of. I shot it out of my 32 cal rifle 4 times without cleaning and each time the ball and patch went down nice and smooth. Also the smoke doesnt smell at all.

It doesnt poor out of my small flask very good, it bridges up. And it doesnt seem to level real nice in the measure. It has weird triangular grains.

Ill play around with it some more at the range and see how it is for accuracy.

My experience with it is mixed. It is certainly clean, but often the least accurate of any powders I've tried in an assortment of guns. Worse yet, it's REALLY affected by humidity. In the wet season I figure I get about 2 months to use up a can before it really goes to pot. I chronoed loads with one batch, and after 3 months velocity loss was about 30% from what the same batch of powder did in the same gun when the jug was first opened. I'm not agin it, but I'm not willing to open a jug unless I figure I can use it all up right away.

Default Thanks

The more I read on-line about the pioneer, the more I think the stuff is not as good as ole Shockey claims. I know Shockey gets paid to say it is great stuff, but just about everything the guys on TV say is a great product is junk. The sling stix come to mind as a solid piece of junk.

I guess I will stick to T7. I have not heard anything bad about T7

Thanks for the replies on where to get the pioneer powder though. I may still pick a can up to try it if I am down in Los Anchor.

My hunting pard is really proud of T7. From the results I've seen, he has good reasons. It seems to be totally unaffected by humidity, BTW.

They sell it at Mountain View Sport in Anchorage.

Default america pioneer

i shoot this stuff in all my guns after some playing with the first load here what i get a c.v.a. koidak 45 100yards 5 shots togather with 120 grain powder .54 layman trade rifle 85 grains ,power belt 75 yards,1 inch group ,45cal knight 120 gr. and 195 powder belt touching one another 5 shot group this stuff works here in michigan not much clean up thanks savage61