Thread: Wading boots suggestions

Default Wading boots suggestions

Looking for a couple suggestions for wading boots to wear mainly for just walking the rivers on top of breathables.
    I used to use old hiking boots, but the leather holds water for a long time & eventually becomes heavy & the saltwater seems to wear them. Had a pair of cabelas with felt soles but they are a pain to put on & I seem to loose balance to often when hiking in them, especially when climbing up & down banks. I use oversize bunny boots in the winter sometimes which seem to due well but you don’t want to walk to far.
    So I am hoping to hear from some that have found a boot they like & seems to work well.
    I have heard some people say they use x-tra tuffs or alpha burlys, that may be a good option to consider.
    Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Eagle River

Default Simms

Simms Freestone ($79) felt soles were a great, stable wading boot for me, at a good price. I replaced them with Chota STL felt soles 2 yrs ago - a lighter, wider boot which suits me better for hiking - and have done well since I relaced with Simms laces (replacing the Quick Laces which kept breaking). Cabela's has both. I think Mtn View has both. McAfee's has both.

I'm gonna try xtra tuffs this year they are great on rocks and I've got a few old pairs around. I have used pack boots and taken out the liners they worked ok.. Also loose fitting non skid soft soled work shoes have worked for me.

Thumbs up Korkers

Get the new Korkers guide boots and I believe you will be happy. They are half the weight, with the cable system are easy on and off and feature a variety of interchangeable soles for different conditions. They are a few dollars more, but in my opinion, are well worth the long term investment.