Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard Auxiliary-Vessel Safety Checks

Default Coast Guard Auxiliary-Vessel Safety Checks

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is going to be performing their annual "Free" vessel safety checks at two locations in Anchorage this year. So bring your boat down and get your 2008 vessel safety check sticker and save yourself the hassel on the water. Here is current 2008 schedule:

Dates: May 17-18, 2008
    Time: 10am-4pm

West Marine will be BBQing and is offering 15% off all items needed for safety check. In addition, they are offering 5% off electronics.

Dates: April 26 & May 10
    Time: 10am-4pm

I would like to thank the folks at West Marine and Ak Mining and Diving for all their help!! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

thanks,

Dave

Good information. Does your source know when the one at the Fred Meyers in Eagle River will happen?

Wow, I didn't even know the dates yet and I'm probably the one cooking the hotdogs!

Smile And it's well worth it

I had them come by my house and do my boat, found my Nav lights where not working, i didn't check them.
    But with a BBQ and a discount at West Marine heck I just go there and get that last item checked off for my 2008 sticker.
    These guys do a great job and I thank them!

skydiver,

I believe that station is put on by another flotilla, but I will confirm that for you. If these locations and times don't work with your schedule, you can contact Andy Buhler at 349-3240 and he will set up an exam with you. We are hoping to have a strong turnout at both locations this year, so we hope to see you there.

Dave

Default a newbie

Is this something you have to do every year? Is it just for charters or recreational too? Is there a place in the Valley? If you don't have the sticker what happens "on the water" ? We have the list of required and suggested saftey equipment and just about have it all rounded up, so what else is needed? Just check the lights and horn? Sorry for so many questions just never had to do this on the river. Thanks for the info

The exam sticker is only good for the calendar year and this check is only for recreational boaters. The charter guys get a different inspection. The inspection is just a courtesy exam and is not required. Also having one doesn't guarantee you won't get boarded by troopers or the coast guard but often if they see your sticker they will motor on by. Bljames I will try and locate an examiner in the Valley and if nothing else in a week I will be certified and can come out and do one for you at your place if you like. Send me a PM if you're interested.

bljames,

The vessel safety check is something the Coast Guard Auxiliary offers free of charge to help ensure safe boating. It is not required by law, but the sticker will certainly reduce the number of times you'll get boarded and inspected by the coast guard, coast guard auxiliary and state troopers. Often, if they see that you have a current safety check sticker, they will send you on your way instead of asking to see all the required safety equipment. Plus, West Marine is offering a discount and bbq. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Dave

Default thanks

I dont know 90 mile round trip and hotdog heartburn. Hmmm, I don't think so! I might take you up on the offer Hewey will talk to the Capt. and see what he says. Isn't there a coast guard office in the Valley? Seems like there would be. Anyways, we'll get her ready and then worry about it I guess.

Aprox how long does it take to get inspected?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

How many people have been boarded by C.G or Troppers while on the river system ? All my years on the river I have only seen a trooper 1 time . And everyone knew who he was because he was the only black trooper around. Jimmy Jones ws his name ,A he!! of a nice guy gave people way to many get of of jail free passes .Unlike some of these new guys.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Couple of Answers to quesitons

My inspection at Whittier last year took max. 15-20 minutes,, maybe less.
    I was checked by troopers twice last year in Seward, as they were going boat to boat out by Pony. They saw my sticker, asked a couple questions, had me open the fish boxes and they looked in from thier boat, thanked us and moved on. the Kids got a free certificat for ice cream at Mc Donalds because they had thier life jakcetson, us adults didn't so no ice cream for us :-) I welcome them any time as it makes the unsafe safer!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

anyone aware of this going on in Soldotna area? I have "new" used boat and would be good to get it checked.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

15-20 min. Not bad at all. Never had the Trooper or the CG board my boat. If they come they come. Hopefully they will give me a heads up so if I need/forgot anything back on shore they can bringing it to me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I just wanted to let everyone know that the VE state at AK Mining and Diving on April 26th will not be happing due to the weather. All the other VE stations and dates are still good though.

Default Courtesy Vessel Exams around Alaska-USCG Auxiliary

Here's a list of Courtesy Exam Stations scheduled for 2008:

10 May, Anchorage, Alaska Mining & Diving, 10am-4pm
    17 May,Ketchikan, Clover Pass and Bar Harbor North
    17 May, Sitka, Murray Pacific
    17-18 May, Whittier, Whittier Harbor Launch Ramps
    17-18 May, Seward, North and South Launch Ramps, 9am-1pm
    17-18 May, Anchorage, West MArine, 10am-4pm
    17-18 May, Eagle River, Fred Meyer, 10am-5pm
    19-22 May, Fort Richardson
    23-26 May, Deep Creek
    24-26 May, Big Lake
    3-5 July, Seward, North and South Launch Ramps

You can also locate a Vessel Examiner at http://safetyseal.net/. Click on "I Want a VSC" then enter your zip code and a list of local vessel examiners will pop-up.
    Last edited by AKFlamingo; 04-26-2008 at 17:43. Reason: typo

Default C.M.E. bs

I always appreciate a uniformed agent of the state or federal govt snooping around my vessel on the pretext of a safety inspection. I know I for one am too dumb to carry the proper safety gear and I need help from the govt to protect myself & family.

Does the C.G. Auxillary do vessel exams for charter (6 pack) boats?

Default Safety Checks

I know that they will do a safety check on charter boats in Valdez. There was a name and number posted on the board at the harbor master office I just did not write it down. I will post it on the site once I get back to Valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFlamingo View Post
    Here's a list of Courtesy Exam Stations scheduled for 2008:

10 May, Anchorage, Alaska Mining & Diving, 10am-4pm
    17 May,Ketchikan, Clover Pass and Bar Harbor North
    17 May, Sitka, Murray Pacific
    17-18 May, Whittier, Whittier Harbor Launch Ramps
    17-18 May, Seward, North and South Launch Ramps, 9am-1pm
    17-18 May, Anchorage, West MArine, 10am-4pm
    17-18 May, Eagle River, Fred Meyer, 10am-5pm
    19-22 May, Fort Richardson
    23-26 May, Deep Creek
    24-26 May, Big Lake
    3-5 July, Seward, North and South Launch Ramps

You can also locate a Vessel Examiner at http://safetyseal.net/. Click on "I Want a VSC" then enter your zip code and a list of local vessel examiners will pop-up.
    Thanks for the link and the dates. As a recent boat owner, I appreciate all the info I can get on how to boat safely in a salt-water environment.

I, for one, find the CG requirements reasonable. The salt water is NO place to play games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast