Thread: Bedding Ruger recoil lug???

Default Bedding Ruger recoil lug???

Anyone have experience bedding a ruger M77 MKII recoil lug? I was thinking about doing it and the rear tang area of my 338.

Thanks, schmidty

I did my M77 (tang safety) on a brown precision stock. It is very tight getting the stock off, but goes back on well.

If I were to do one again I would consider putting a strip of electrian tape on the muzzle side of the lug (not the bottom, or butt side) to leave a small gap for ease of stock removal.

Default two

I have done 2, recoil lug and action and tang areas. Like Eastwoods says, they are tight afterwards but help with recoil and accuracy. I would not leaveany gaps though, any room for play may effect accuracy. Just ensure you use a good release agent and coat the metal really thoroughly before putting thew rifle into the uncured bedding, it will take some wiggling and maybe a light tap but the two should come apart with a little effort. clean up the dried release agent and you will have enough clearance to get the two back together nice and snug.

How do you keep the epoxy from getting in the recoil lug screw hole?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    How do you keep the epoxy from getting in the recoil lug screw hole?

I put some gray clay in it, then cleaned it later.

Default m77 bedding

I have a M77 MK II that I have been thinking about bedding also. I have been contemplating free floating also. I bought the Miles Gilbert bedding kit and it comes with clay for filling holes and such to prvent a mechanical bond while curing. It looks like a very complete kit and has easy to read directions. Any advice would be apreciated.

I read about the clay to fill those little holes before, must have just spaced it. Did you guys put your screws in to center the action at all though?

I put my rifles completely back together, tightened the screws and let the bedding set. You have to coat the screws with release aget as well. Acraglass has instructions, if that is what you use, I don't know about the other brands. When you put the glass in the recoil lug slot, put it on each side and leave the screw hole open, when you squeeze the rifel and stock together the void will fill and as long as you have thoroughly coated the screw, it will not stick to the bedding when it cures, it will be tight though, so be careful when removing it so you don't ruin the slot. You can probably find an allen/hex screw at somewhere that sells quality bolts. That is what I did with one of my remingtons, got the bolt at a place in Fairbanks, don't remember the name, that specialized in nut, bolts and machined equipment. AiH would probably be able to fit what you need, but it looks like Fasteners & Fire Equipment Co - www.fastenersfire.com
    123 E Intl Airport Rd, Anchorage - (907) 562-2777, has all kinds of hex head bolts.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 04-23-2008 at 15:03. Reason: new material

Default Bring it over to the house...

I'll get out the Dremel tool, and we'll have a jolly time... Whenever you figure out what you're going to do, let me know and I can help you. Granted, it's been a while since I've been involved with all that jazz, but I think I can remember enough of it to do you some good.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Glass bedding tips and thoughts

I started glass bedding years ago using the kit sHerter's sold. I use the Brownell's accurglas now; if there is something better please let me know.

I found Johnson's paste floor wax worked great as a release compound; I fill all the screw holes and crevices on the action with the stuff as well as coating the action and barrel on top of the release agent supplied with the kit. I use several layers of thick cellophane packaging tape around the barrel forward of the portion I want to bed to give a clean seperation between where the barrel is supported by the glass and where it is free floating. My preference is to bed only the cylindrical shank of the barrel next to the action and free float forward. Since the barrel will heat up when shot I don't want the tapered portion to be bound up by the stock as it become longer from thermal expansion. iI also apply the same idea on heavy guns with a forward recoil lug on the barrel and use several layers of thick tape on the muzzle side of the lug.

As to tape i find the thick clear 2" wide cellophane packaging tape by 3M works great. It is smoother than electricans tape and less gummy to clean up.

It is well worth the investment to get a set of T-handle screws made by Forester (I believe) to use when you glass bed a rifle. The extended T handle screws are much easier work with and you don't mess up your standard screws and risk gouging the stock or your hand trying to get the regular screws in and out. The T handle screws should be avalaible from Brownell's or Midway but I haven't checked recently.

As a bit of trivia- the US Govt. used metric threads on screws starting with the trapdoors. That is why the 03 action screws are 25 tpi - it works out the 10 turns per cm. I learned this years ago when I tried to find some off the shelf screws for my 03 to use in glass bedding.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK