Thread: It's getting tough out there...

Default It's getting tough out there...

The ADF&G statistics for sportfishing liscences show the following for 2007:

resident angler..............185,485
    non-resident angler........324,142

Little wonder some of your honey-holes have become a little more crowded, but those sheer numbers do represent income if you are tied to that industry.

It will be interesting to see the numbers in 2008 in relation to the falling economy and rising costs of food and fuel.

Hang tough!

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Trends

What are the historical trends for sales for say the last decade or so? It would be interesting to see which way sales have moved. A breakdown of license type(annual, 1-day, etc) or days-on-the-water may be more revealing that total license sales alone.

I bet the high gas prices this summer keep some people home.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    What are the historical trends for sales for say the last decade or so? It would be interesting to see which way sales have moved. A breakdown of license type(annual, 1-day, etc) or days-on-the-water may be more revealing that total license sales alone.

I bet the high gas prices this summer keep MOST people home.
    Fixed it for ya!

Non-resident anglers and tourist contribute a lot to the Alaska economy.

Default I always hate it...

... When fishing and hunting are reduced to sheer monetary terms.
    It's not about economic impact, and how much money one can make off of pimping Alaska's fish and game. It's about (or it should be) love of the activity and/or the food. Tourists.... gotta love them (I guess) but hang the money they bring to the state.

But then I remember a less crowded Alaska... and miss it greatly.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I hate it... When fishing and hunting are reduced to sheer monetary terms.
    It's not about economic impact, and how much money one can make off of pimping Alaska's fish and game. It's about (or it should be) love of the activity and/or the food. Tourists.... gotta love them (I guess) but hang the money they bring to the state.....
    It can be frustrating when an area that used to be lonely gets commercial, but I figure that just comes with the territory.

I just move on to another area.

I agree with your sentiments about the money. While a tourist economy is fine, the money associated with it (like it did with the commercial hunting and fishing economies) steers hunting and fishing politics.

That's what I hate the most; the money steering the politics............

Seems like those numbers on resident vs. non-resident make sense though. Alaska only has what, 600k residents? Assuming the non-residents only come from the lower 48 (even though many probably also come from Canada and other countries), that is a LOT of people to make up the additional numbers for non-res. Many residents don't fish (I know . . . ), some are kids that don't need the license (I think that is correct). Plus there are a decent number of folks that move up here and have to get non-res licenses the first year, including many that come involuntarily through military. So it seems to make sense to me.

Plus WHY do people visit here? Scenery, fishing, hunting. So of course many of them will buy fishing liscences. Those that live here are like the majority of the US. Some fish some don't.