Thread: Friday Creek Trail

Default Friday Creek Trail

Friday Creek Trail Question -

If you ride near Friday Creek (@ knik), there is a trail on the right side that goes "up" from the Friday Creek riverbed. Looking from the main valley floor (Knik River Bed) I can see that this trail seems to go "up" and "back" for a long way in elevation. Can anyone give me details on this trail? How far does it go back and how steep does it get? Any "trouble spots" on that trail? Is it rideable by ATVers with "average" skill or is it a technical trail? I want to check it out next time I am out there but do not want to take lesser skilled riders with me and get them into trouble. Thanks!

AKMuddy
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    Friday Creek Trail Question -

If you ride near Friday Creek (@ knik), there is a trail on the right side that goes "up" from the Friday Creek riverbed. Looking from the main valley floor (Knik River Bed) I can see that this trail seems to go "up" and "back" for a long way in elevation. Can anyone give me details on this trail? How far does it go back and how steep does it get? Any "trouble spots" on that trail? Is it rideable by ATVers with "average" skill or is it a technical trail? I want to check it out next time I am out there but do not want to take lesser skilled riders with me and get them into trouble. Thanks!

AKMuddy
    Widowmaker Don't take any kids, don't ever ride double and only go if ya like carnival rides. It'll make ya pucker up. It's on the spine of a deep canyon. Never heard of anyone dieing on it. Broken backs, necks and screwed up bodies for life, yes. The last helivac I remember was about 3 years ago. A guy and his girlfriend flipped backward about halfway up, he got thrown off and she tumbled with the atv. I don't want to repeat how bad I heard she was.
    Once at the top of the spine the trail zig zags threw the trees for maybe a mile more till it turns into a goat trail at a hill that isn't climbable, you could winch up it but it's a goat trail up top also.
    As you are driving up Friday Creek go past the turn off to Wolf Point and 2 or 3 hundred yards further up is a big camping area on the right in the cottonwoods. At the back of this campsite is the trail to the hill. A half mile or so along this trail is a Y, both directions go to the hill. Take a right though because the left gives you a bad angle to start the climb. The left trail is the one we use to get off the mountain on the way back. The bad section of the hill will sneak up on you, ain't no stopping, once your commited that's it. Too steep, traction wise to stop and start again on it. Lean way forward and if ya lose it jump to the left and let your machine drop into the canyon on the right.

dws,

Thanks for the information. Has anyone ever said you should be a motivational speaker? Maybe for kids on the "edge". Just joking! That trail sound like a serious ride. I will have to look at it a little more closely before I attempt it. Do you know (approx) length of the trail from camp site to the end point (where it turns into a "goat trail")? looking for more motivational words. Thanks again!

AKMuddy
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Was out there on that trail with a couple of fellow odd members and I dont like that trail. First I overheated my polaris and then lost my brakes coming down. For only being on the trail once, I didnt have to much luck.

When the trail stops, it just stops. deadends into the hill.

Yep, I remember that ride, it was fun but it can be quite dangerous if your machine isn't in top form, especially the brakes!

"widowmaker"....pretty appropriate! I have to admit it was a little hair raising watching Blink go down those hills with minimal brakes . It was a fun ride, but the trail just kind of ends in a bad spot. There are much better trails out there IMO though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Yeah, and constantly having to tighten his chain but he got in and out without a hitch. Agree on the trail thing, we need to get out and do another ride again this spring.

Yeah between the brakes, the overheating and the chain thing (forgot about that one) and then soaking my drive belt coming back across jim creek, I wasnt to impressed with that polaris. now she runs good with a new belt, fan motor, fornt brakes and a complete rear caliper and chains all the way around.