Thread: bears and trail cams

Default bears and trail cams

Guys...I know putting your trail cam in a metal box is an option but have any of yall ever put pepper spray on your trail cam in hopes that will keep bears from getting messing with your cam?

Richie

Default Scent

The only time I have had trouble with bears is when I left scent on my cam. Otherwise I have had them look close, even nose it. But when they had a scent they pawed and destroyed them. I even think there are stories from Yellowstone where they used the spray as a perimiter and the bears came and tried it from curiosity. Someone will know a bit better on that story. I would keep away from it.

If you don't want your camera chewed on put it up high. It may still get chewed but there's less of chance. Don't put pepper spray on it unless you want pics of in side a bear

Arent bears attracted to pepper spray?

- I'd have to say dont spray it

I think it's been pretty well established that they are attracted to pepper spray. Even the manufactures say so. They caution against trying to use it as a perimiter barrier.
    Hhounds

Default No scent at all is the way I go

I positioned my camera about waist high, twenty feet from my bait barrel. I ensured I left no scent on my camera last year. To leave no scent, I wore gloves while messing with bait and then took the gloves off to mess with the camera. The bears did not chew on my camera at all. The bears did decide to use the tree my camera was on as a scratching post. I believe this is the reason why I have upside down, sideways, and every other way pictures and video. My favorite ten second clip from the year was the video starting with the tree shaking back and forth in a slow motion and then in the last two seconds of the clip a set of black ears pop up in the bottom of the screen. Priceless!!!

I put the camera on a different tree this year. Hopefully the bears will use the same tree as last year for their scratching post and I will not get any sideways or upside down pics.

Default Pepper Spray

Pepper spray is designed to deal with an immediate problem.
    It is not a persistent agent.

Generally speaking, if you spray the stuff on something, and allow it to sit, it will break down - and some will argue that it takes on a 'sweet' smell to it. Hence the concept that bears are attracted to it.

I can tell you - if you spray it in their face, they will run.

Buy an electric fence to protect your cam! hehe - should get some interesting video!

I would spray the cam box down with 409 or some other ammonia-based cleaner. Animals with sensitive noses stay clear of that type of stuff--usually.

Here's an idea put some pepper spray on you bait

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Guys...I know putting your trail cam in a metal box is an option but have any of yall ever put pepper spray on your trail cam in hopes that will keep bears from getting messing with your cam?

Richie
    Dont put pepper spray on your trail cam unless the brand of trail is "taco or burrito". They like the taste of pepper spray they just dont like it sprayed in their face.

Bears are a bit like humans. They like to eat the pepper but not get it in their eyes. Also as far as a bear having poor vision, it is 20/20 with ours which for an animal is very poor.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Here is a picture of my box, made from an old electrical box. It worked great and got a few paw marks on it but the camara was fine.

Richie, bottom line is that pepper spray is not meant as a preventative spray on surface deterent. It will attract bears if sprayed on things like tents, packs etc. Hope you get some good pics.

Default Pine-Sol

I put Pine-Sol on my tires when I park the plane to go hunting and it keeps the bears from chewing on the rubber (why they like rubber I do not know but they chew on it like its cool). It has worked well for me.

Drew

Default Flash?

I am getting ready to purchase a trail cam and I am wondering How important IR flash? There is a huge price difference between those with old school flashed and those with IR.

I know whitetails would be scared but I was wondering if anyone has witness bears reacting to flashes or are they just interested in the bait. I don;t even know how often the flash would go off with the day light we get.

Talking Camera Flash

Don't know about trail camera flash but know from first hand experience that a camera flash will cause a Brown Bear to charge and try to eat your partner who took it's picture, they can climb trees fast and take alot of punishment from 12ga slugs before retiring so I would stay away from the flash. Wish I could load the film from this but it was over 5 minutes long total 20 secs were the actual charge and the other 4 1/2 minutes were the after charge F bombs

Default IR versus Strobe

In my opinion-
    If it ain't gunna break the bank, drop the extra couple of bucks to get the IR.

I have LOT's of pictures of the inside of a bears mouth after the strobe fired. Or noses/tongues on the lens (which leaves wet smears on there for a bit).

In essence, I think I've been lucky... so far my camera has been there. I do believe one day I'll return to either find it GONE, or in hurtin status.
    It will be a sad day.

I have heard that moth balls work.