Thread: Slip rights go with boat in Whittier??

Default Slip rights go with boat in Whittier??

Here is an ad from Craigslist today saying the slip rights stay with the boat. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, maybe this is why the waitlist never moves there. I thought when someone sold their boat the new owner was at the bottom of the list.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/649957335.html

Jim

I am on a wait list myself. I thought the slip did not go with the boat, that it stays with the person. I thought if they sold their boat, they had "X" amount of time to put their new boat in the slip, or they would loose it and go back to the bottom of the list.

In the new marina, you buy your slip ($50K +). So, you could sell it there...but I don't think it works as he advertised it in the public marina.

Hopefully someone who knows all the facts can clear this up.

AkBillyBow

Default No it doesn't

They can do a lease option on the boat and that will gain you a couple of years with the slip but most people are not up for this because the boat is not legally sold it is just being leased. Otherwise the slip stays with the person not the boat and that is correct they have a year or two to buy a new boat to keep there slip. Im not sure about the other marina but i would assume that you could sell your slip. Well atleast i hope so when you pay that much for one.

Default Transient

Here's the deal.
    You can't bring a boat into Whittier Harbor until you get to the top of the list.
    They don't have room for any more transient slip holders.
    If you buy a boat that is already there, you are grandfathered and can remain there.
    I bought my boat from a guy who had a permanent slip there.
    Once the boat was mine, I had to move it out of his slip, but could still stay in Whittier Harbor as a transient. This means rafting up often 3 or 4 boats from the dock, but at least you are in the harbor.
    The slip (if he has one) does not go with the boat on craigslist, but whoever buys it will be able to continue to keep it in Whittier Harbor.
    I've been on the list for a 32' slip since 2002. It will probably be another 10 or 12 years before I get to the top. Anyway, there you go.
    David

I was not aware of this grandfather clause. I think David has it right. I asked the harbor master, and here is what he said:

With the economy, things are moving on the waitlists, but it is a crystal ball question to predict when someone may come up. As to the situation that you described, the folks advertising on Craig’s List are in error. They are annual transient and the slip does not go with the sale of the boat. He has a year to put a new boat in a slip for himself. It is my intention to end the “grandfather” situation that allows even the year.

Ed Barrett
    Harbormaster
    Last edited by jrogers; 04-23-2008 at 11:16. Reason: removing html tags

There it is...straight from the Harbor Master. I have to agree that the grandfather thing is a bad deal. Wait on the list, like everyone else. If you have a slip and sell your boat, I would say a few months waiting for a new one should be good. If you don't have one by then, you loose your spot and it goes to the next person on the list.

The grandfather deal will just continue to add more boats where there is not space.

Can you contact the Harbor Master by email to see where you are on the list?

AkBillyBow

Default list #

when you renewed your wait list, it had your spot on the list I'm #86 you can call the harbormaster office if you don't have your # and they will tell you what you are on the list :] i'm sure i'm out there a few years but one can dream and hope

Default Slip List

How do you get on the waiting list?

I wonder if there will be public slips in Shotgun cove when they get all that completed?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Just curious, how much does one of these slips that you have to wait like forever for, cost?

Seawolf, yes my renewal slip did have my number, but that was when they printed them out. I am sure you move up the fastest by people not renewing, and dropping off the list, as opposed to people actually getting slips. I am curious as to where I stand after this past renewal period closed.

If I remember correctly, I was around 94 or something like that. I am right behind you!!!

Thanks...AkBillyBow

Default Whittier slip rights

The answer is NO. The slips go with the boat owner, not the boat. And depending upon the size of the boat is a waiting list. For more information call Whittier Small Boat Harbor at 907-472-2327 Ex. 6

Wow, thats an old thread dredged up. By the way, I am number 68 on one list and it moved down TWO spots in the last year. What does that leave me, something like 34 years for my slip?? Don't hold your breath is an understatement.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have been moving around 20 to 30 spots every year (for about 5 years now). This year I moved only 1 spot. Unreal!! I emailed the harbor master and got the results. When she said I moved 1 spot, I thought she must have said that in error. Replied back and she told me that was correct. The 0-28' list only had 1 spot given up. I was thinking I would have a spot next year, now I wonder how long it will really be!! Seems the closer you get to the top, the slower it moves.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I think everyone should be moving up the lists in the next few years as the harbor gets "reconfigured" and slip fees skyrocket!

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    I think everyone should be moving up the lists in the next few years as the harbor gets "reconfigured" and slip fees skyrocket!
    Not to mention in another thread that the City of Whittier will now assese property tax against your boat too, even if it stays there for only 3 months

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Although this may casue some ill will, I will say it anyways (why stop now!).

Anyone complaing about the fees for slips in Whittier should look directly to the west in the Cliffside Marina for what Plan B is. There, you have to pay $100K+ to enter the game, and then about $3K per year additional in 'condo dues' to keep your slip. I think any way you slice it, the Whittier harbor is a bargin, and I would love to pay either their current of future slip fees, even with the planned increases.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded