Thread: Fishing out of Whittier

Default Fishing out of Whittier

I will be going bear hunting out of whittier May 12 and was hoping to do some fishing also. I have never fished PWS before so wondering what I should expect. I have heard a lot of people fish with Jigs there for bottomfish or would a herring work equally as good. I will have a 12' Zodiac so I won't be able to go way out from shore so not sure what type of depths I need to locate either. The bay we will be in has up to 150 feet and the entrance has all the way to 700'. Any help gear? depths?technique? would be great.

polarisblake

In the bay if you can find a rocky point or if there is any kelp near by(something with structure) you might pick up some sea bass or rockfish.. There might be a chance for a yelloweye.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default fishing PWS

Some of the most enjoyable times I've had were in a 15' boat with a spinning rod and a small metal jig (a 1 ounce Kastmaster was what I had then, but just about anything will do). Pure and simple. You'll catch all types of fish while just drifting around. Don't expect a lot of halibut, but if you pay your dues, you'll eventually hook something heavy...

Remember to go easy on the rockfish. With this type of gear you will catch lots of small ones. If you pull them up fast from more than 75' they will just float away when you release them.

Default Kayak?

If I rented a Kayak out of Whittier, could I possibly get into some rockfish, ling or smaller halibut paddling out of Whittier?

I wouldn't want to go too far because I am not a great kayaker. Id probably want to stay within view of any shore.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    If I rented a Kayak out of Whittier, could I possibly get into some rockfish, ling or smaller halibut paddling out of Whittier?

I wouldn't want to go too far because I am not a great kayaker. Id probably want to stay within view of any shore.
    I caught a 6 inch halibut in shotgun cove once
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Rockfish

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Remember to go easy on the rockfish. With this type of gear you will catch lots of small ones. If you pull them up fast from more than 75' they will just float away when you release them.
    Also remember that depending on the type of rockfish, you are required to keep the first two caught no matter ths size. Read the regulations carefully.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012