Thread: PWS Bear Hunting?

Default PWS Bear Hunting?

Wondering if anyone has made it out of Whittier yet to search for Black Bears? I will be heading out May 12 so just wondering what conditions are like or if anyone has seen anything yet? I will be getting dropped off then I will use my Zodiac to get around. Wanted to know what most people do to find bears, spot from the boat, cruise the shore, or get some elevation on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    polarisblake

Check the postings on the power boat forum. Looks like a few people have been out, but no-one has posted they saw bears yet.

Last year we just spotted them from the boat, then went to shore for the chase. We did not harvest one, but got to go after a few.

I would think spotting from the boat will be your best choice.

I'll be out there in a couple of weeks looking for bears also!! Good luck!!

AkBillyBow

Quote Originally Posted by polarisblake View Post
    Wondering if anyone has made it out of Whittier yet to search for Black Bears? I will be heading out May 12 so just wondering what conditions are like or if anyone has seen anything yet? I will be getting dropped off then I will use my Zodiac to get around. Wanted to know what most people do to find bears, spot from the boat, cruise the shore, or get some elevation on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    polarisblake
    Lucky bum. I'd love to go along but.........

I may be going out myself around the 8th. Spot from the boat. Did it about 4 or 5 years ago and got a nice 6 1/2 footer almost 20 inch bean. I have the fingers crossed.Don't be in a hurry to shoot the first one you see . we saw over 10 bears in 2 and a half days and most of them in a ten mile strech. four of witch in one bay.

Cool

I have been over there a couple of times this year, there is a lot of snow everywhere!!!!!! it will be a while before any bears show up, dang it!!!!!

Default Whittier

As far as weather goes, Whittier is usually a month behind Girdwood. Middle of May to middle of June is when most spring bears are shot. Earlier can be done, but, there may be less bears out.

Default Bears

I was out there last weekend. Some bays were still frozen over, from all that late snow. There was some bare beaches with dead grass showing. We seen tracks, two sets down low, like 50 yards up off the beach on top of a rocky face area in the snow. Hard to say what they were, either blackies or possibly wolverine. They were melted in a bit and hard to tell exactly. Never did get out my new Minox 10x43HG's. Was wanting to look for dens. But went fishing instead. Another guy that was out there said he seen tracks too. But also didn't go investigate.

Last year a buddy wacked his bear on the 17th of may. There was plenty of old tracks up in the trees. Just because you don't see bears on the beach doen't mean they are not out. Can't wait to get back out there. Pretty crappy this weekend out there. Other years further out we have got bears on the 15th and 16th of April. Seen 13 bears that trip in 2.5 days. I missed three and never killed one. But my dad did and the boat owner.

Thanks for all the replies. Reading and hearing about all the snow we got in Southcentral yesterday was a little disheartening but oh well thats what Alaska is all about. Should be fun either way. None of the group has ever done this before so should be a good learning experience. Again thanks for the input and when I get back I will post some pics and what we did.

polarisblake