Thread: Hewescraft Outboard Suggestions

Default Hewescraft Outboard Suggestions

I made a deposit on a 26' Alaskan with a single 250 Yamaha and 9.9 kicker with remote. Most people I've mentioned it to think I'm crazy for not going with twins. I plan to do PWS, Seward and Homer on nice days, and will probably be fairly heavy most of the time. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this setup? I'm wondering if I should switch to twin 150's. Recommendations? Fuel burn data on either? I appreciate any input. Thanks!

hi wallbanger,i see no problem with your setup.the new motors are bulletproof and comparted to older motors are more reliable. if worse comes to worse you can limp back with your kicker. on my boat i use a single 115 has never given me any problems, stayed out near montague to long one time and had to make it back in rough seas, was soaking wet and had water over the soft top but the motor never gave me any problems. when you pick up your boat i would have them show you location of All fuses that way you do not have to be looking when one blows in rough seas.enjoy your new boat i think you will love the new motors.jeff

Default Twins

I've run both twins with a kicker and now a single with a kicker. From a safety point of view twenty years ago twins would probably make more sense. But with the quality of most name brand outboards you really do have units that are very reliable. In addition, they are now making singles that have the hp that was only an option previously with twins. Although I really like the sound of twins back there (SWEET) the cost of maintenance is doubled and the mpg is certainly less than a comparable hp setup with a single. One thing I did like about having twins is for those of us who do our own wrenching it is nice sometimes to have the exact same unit sitting there when you are wondering just exactly which component isn't working and you can switch them out. Weight will obviously be more with twins. In the end there are guys running big singles and others running twins and almost everyone makes it back to the dock at the end of the day....
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

You know, I bought my boat from Dewey's last year and faced the same dilemma - I wanted the larger single with a kicker. He really worked hard to sell me on the twins (115's) by quoting more than $7,000 for the price difference with the single/kicker versus the twin setup. He did the same when I talked about going to 150's instead of the 115's. I'm very happy with the 115's, but have to wonder why he pushed so hard to keep the twins on the boat (he already had a set # of engines on order? Bigger discounts - higher margins on the twins? Who knows . . . ).

I think you'll have a hard time choosing wrong, as I don't think there's a wrong answer here (and that's a good thing!). I like the fact that if I had to, I can chug back to port on a single at 12-14 mph, versus 5-8mph with a small kicker. Yup, the maintenance cost is a little higher (but you'll still have two motors . . .) and the fuel economy is a little lower, and the twins setup is 126# heavier, but I like the redundancy. The important point however, is that you can still get back to port.

Enjoy your new boat . . .

SH

Default Redundancy

Wallbanger,

I have solicited comments on this in the past, so now it is my turn to have an opinion. The common thing on the twins when you press people about them is that 'it makes them feel better' to have two motors back there. You really have less economy, double the maintainence, and a greater chance for failure on any one trip.

Also, as one of the other post said, you will come back at 6 mph instead of 12mph, and even the 12 mph is questionable, since if you loose one of your two motors, I think you would be taking it easy on the second one and not wanting to push a lot of water (you will not be on step).

I also think about all my friends with airplanes and helecopters that fly all around the state just fine on one motor, since they do proper scheduled and preventative maintainence. If they loose a motor, they are certainly in a lot worse shape that you would be in.

Jim

Go with one big single and a 8 or 10 HT kicker. Unless you can get on step with one of the motors it will just be a super expensive kicker anyhow. And, if the motor can not get the boat on step I doubt one motor will push the boat more than 1 mph faster than the HT 8 or 10 would.
    Don't let Dewey's talk you into spending more of your money and wasting more on fuel than you need to.
    Tennessee

I talked to a guy in kenai on the return trip from the winter king derby the guy had a 26ft hewes and 1 of the 115's went out brand new first time on the water he limped it back on one going 21mph and on step so i would think you have enough there to get u on step unless you are loaded then it will be questionable in my opinion go with the 250 a lot less headaches

In my mind, there's no reason for large twins, unless the two following conditions are true:

1. one engine has sufficient power to plane the boat and run for a long time that way (must be propped correctly)
    2. you feel comfortable swapping to a lower-pitch prop in lousy weather

Reason - If you have a LONG way back to port and your second engine is capable of planing the boat, unless you reprop that engine, you'll be WAY overpropped, and might burn up the second engine in the process of getting home. Lot of good that does you.

If you go with a 10-15 horse kicker (that is designed to be a kicker, not a prime engine for a 12' dingy), you'll have no problem making headway at 5-7 mph, and you won't burn the engine up in the process. Yamaha's got the market cornered on kickers, but a merc or an appropriately-propped suzuki/tohatsu/nissan/honda would be fine as well. Ask for a "sailboat prop" on these non-bigfoot engine brands - look for larger blade area and lower pitch.

Default No to twins

I decided on the big single, and a 20 hp kicker with a high-thrust prop. It will run about 8 mph. I'm happy with my decision.
    One thing not mentioned yet, if you hit something, submerged or floating, you have a good chance of taking out both lower units/props. Nice thing about the kicker is it is out of the water while running, so not susceptible to this potential trauma. Also, I can't imagine the force on the transom if you hit something hard wtih twins.
    If you troll a lot, putting hours on a kicker seems way easier on the pocketbook.
    With twins, to do it right, you will need 4 spare props. One each left and right of the same pitch you are running, and one each left and right of a lower pitch that will work as a single to get you home.

Have twin 115 and love them. I'm glad I went with twins. Either way you will find pro and cons for going with without twins. It comes down to $$$ and what your gut is telling you..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK