Thread: Pentax "Perm-Align" or Burris "Posi-Lock"

Question Pentax "Perm-Align" or Burris "Posi-Lock"

Seeking some info on a Pentax Lightseeker II 3-9x model with "Perm-Align".

__________________________________________________ ________
    Features are as follows by Burris... but Pentax Perm-Align is likely the equivalent:
    • Posi-Lock is a coil-spring assisted retractable steel post that firmly and & securely locks accuracy into place.

• Once the reticle is zeroed, the covering tube (red) replaces the internal spring (green) & locks the inner tube in place.

• All scopes have one spring that allows the adjustment of the reticle. Some of the competition competitors offer a double spring whereas the double spring is the STANDARD for all Burris products.

• As an optional, it’s possible to have the special Posi-Lock system.

• Posi-Lock scopes remain perfectly zeroed year after year even during transportation.
    __________________________________________________ __________

My experiences so far with the Pentax Perm-Align:

A bit of background info -
    I have been trying the scope out on a Tikka T3 Lite SS in .223 Remington with a 1 in 8 twist.
    So far over the past few years the factory rounds with best accuracy results at 100 yards are the Hornady V-Max Moly 40gr as well as Moly 55 gr. and the Winchester Varmint Bulk Pack 45 gr. Contrary to more military thinking going with 1 in 8 twist on a sporting gun...Seems to like the lighter bullets driven right shy of 4000 fps even having the 1 in 8 twist... Just about perfect for what I use the rifle for. With these loads it delivers tack to dime sized groups routinely.

Lately, I had the options to play a bit with Black Hills 52 gr. Match "Blue Box" re-manufactured ammo using Lake City Brass using some sort of match hollow-points and some IMI 11B-M (Israeli made 55 gr match grade JHP/BT. Reasonably accurate stuff in my opinion --- Worthy or up to the task for this scope test.

100 yard scope test is on a calm, sunny day at the Rabbit Creek Range (not the easiest range to fire precision groups... nevertheless good benches, good conditions

Now onto the scope -
    My #1 question to the shooters forum --- is the "Perm-Align" a good feature?

My experiences so far point to NO!

BUT... can anyone shed light on this dilemma I'm having???
    Every time I center my groups up/down & left/right finding all is OK ----> until I turn in the "Perm-Align" locking feature...... after which the group shifts up & right or point of impact is off point of aim at very least. To me this is not acceptable, even if by only fractions of an inch. I hear all the science and understand the engineering idea, however I feel this "Perm-Align" feature is pushing the scope out of zero (after zeroing).

How have your Pentax scopes held up in the field?

Granted... this is a hunting scope having good glass (no match reticle) with kinda fat center cross hairs, yet how good is the tracking repeatability and re-zero based on its 1/4 clicks at 100 yards? I'm guessing this is not an option once the "Perm-Align" locker is engaged?

Are you generally pleased with your Pentax Scope and using this locking feature or do you leave it unlocked?

In the future would you purchase another brand?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dont think much of Burris or pentax scopes.

100 yard scope test is on a calm, sunny day at the Rabbit Creek Range (not the easiest range to fire precision groups... nevertheless good benches, good conditions
    Shot my best groups in my life at rabbit Creek although this weekend was tough with my bud cranking on a 338 lapua next to me

Default Burris Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Seeking some info on a Pentax Lightseeker II 3-9x model with "Perm-Align".

Now onto the scope -
    My #1 question to the shooters forum --- is the "Perm-Align" a good feature?
    The Perm-Align feature is going to change the POI when you lock it down on the scope tube. It exerts some pressure, however slight, on the tube to lock it in place. This is a good thing on large recoil rifles, which is the purpose of the Perm-Align feature. Do you need it on a varmint caliber? I don't think so. If your're going to set the locking system you'll need to figure it in when sighting in your rifle.
    How have your Pentax scopes held up in the field?
    I personally don't hunt with Pentax scopes, but I hunt with friends that do and they seem to like they fine. Currently I'm running Leupold and Zeiss scopes on my hunting rifles.

Granted... this is a hunting scope having good glass (no match reticle) with kinda fat center cross hairs, yet how good is the tracking repeatability and re-zero based on its 1/4 clicks at 100 yards? I'm guessing this is not an option once the "Perm-Align" locker is engaged?
    To test repeatability: sight in the rifle then by turning the adjusting screws see if you can walk the POI around the paper and return to the beginning. On target rifles this can be important, but personally I don't see where it's an issue with a hunting scope. I have an Baush & Lomb Balvar scope that is super accurate in terms of repeatability, but I recently replaced it with a Zeiss Conquest. The Zeiss had better eye relief and clarity, both more important to me for hunting. For a varmint scope I would opt for fine cross hairs or a balistic reticle. The coarse crosshairs are good for low light conditions and quick target acquisition, but isn't necessary or useful for varmints.

Woody
    Last edited by Wa Woody; 04-22-2008 at 10:28. Reason: grammer

Who makes the Pentax? A good quality built scope internally would not need a lock down system do you think? I have always wondered about that and even the Signature I bought for my 35 Whelen I chose not to buy the Posi Lock and it never gave me a problem. My Zeiss Conquest which I prefer now and is on both of my main rifles and my Luepold's never were knocked off zero by recoil and would track well not even my Weaver V was knocked off recoil on my 350 Rem Mag shooting heavy loads. The best and most consistent in tracking has been the Zeiss Conquests, they have never failed to preform flawlessly.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS