Thread: Fabric Delamination???

Default Fabric Delamination???

Have a two weeks-old Zodiac Mk III HD and there is what appears to be delamination of the fabric from the rubbery outer material on the two speed tubes. As such they hold no air... No air means no speed tube which means no speed...Even so, this is my break-in time period so I'm not too worried about getting out to run it really fast. I gotta put in ten hours of time on the engine first.
    Has anyone else experienced this delamination problem? The service department at Marita Sea and Ski has been VERY helpful in trying to get me back up and running. They have put these tubes into a warranty claim and are then going to try to patch up the 3-7 areas of delamination on each tube. They're even going to put me on their priority list to try an' have the originals patched up for use by this weekend!!! I'm thrilled with that kind of "let's get you back in the water"-type attitude!
    Here's to hoping the patch doesn't just shift the problem to another portion of the delaminated fabric...

IceKing02

Default I've seen this before.

There are a couple causes for inflatable boat fabric to delaminate. Itís most common with nylon core laminated fabrics. Nylon is most commonly used in Neoprene/ Hypalon fabrics. What happens is nylon will wick water up into the fabric. When the fabric freezes the water expands and separates the laminate.
    The other cause is similar but itís with the salt in sea water where the salt crystallizes and the crystals expand causing the delimitation.

This is why the SOL-type coated boat fabrics with polyester cores have become more popular. These fabrics are one homogenous piece and have no laminations. The polyester core does not wick the water into the fabric. Polyester core fabrics also have less stretch making for a much stiffer boats as well.

Nylon is 10% stronger then polyester for the same denier. This is why you often see Nylon core fabrics in 840 Denier and polyester core fabrics 1100 Denier. The larger fiber makes up for the 10% difference in strength.

I hope this helps.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hey, thanks...

Jim,

I was told that this was more likely a problem with lack of glue bonding between the two materials as the speed tubes delaminated after <1hr of inflation...sounded reasonable to me. All of the other tubes are intact.

Even so I'm an Ig-no-ramus when it comes to materials for these boats.

Thanks for the pictures--makes my problem look like I'm just a whiner!

IceKing02