Thread: Outboard on a Soar canoe (inflatable)???

Default Outboard on a Soar canoe (inflatable)???

I have the S-16 model (pre-cursor to the Pro-Pioneer) and curious to how it might perform with say a 4 hp outboard. I would like to float some small creeks that empty into bigger interior rivers. The idea being that I fire up the motor when I hit the bigger river and go upstream (loaded with a moose) to a village or airstrip to be flown home. Is this reasonable - going upstream in a inflatable canoe with a 4 hp loaded with a moose on a bigger river??? Anyone done it??? Anyone have any experience with outboards (what size) on SOAR canoes?? Thanks,

Jason

Default You might look for a take out point down stream

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I have the S-16 model (pre-cursor to the Pro-Pioneer) and curious to how it might perform with say a 4 hp outboard. I would like to float some small creeks that empty into bigger interior rivers. The idea being that I fire up the motor when I hit the bigger river and go upstream (loaded with a moose) to a village or airstrip to be flown home. Is this reasonable - going upstream in a inflatable canoe with a 4 hp loaded with a moose on a bigger river??? Anyone done it??? Anyone have any experience with outboards (what size) on SOAR canoes?? Thanks,

Jason
    You're asking a 4HP outboard to push a lot of weight against the flow. You might rethink your plan to motor down river to your take out point instead of up river.

Going down stream with the flow of the river and a small outboard you'll be able to cover a lot more ground and get your meat home quicker.
    I know several customers that have done this with the Alaska Series 13' 390TDS Sportsman model.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900