Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward vs Whittier observations...

Default Seward vs Whittier observations...

Finally got the boat wet Sunday, went down to Seward for the first time and dropped the boat in the water to troll for Kings; nice ramps, good parking right next to the ramps, no snow worth mentioning, overall a nice town.

It was 42 degrees and "clear and a million", 1 foot chop and 3 foot ocean long wave swells - pretty good day.

I noticed though that as we're running down Res bay there really isnt much of anything in the bay, couple of small coves and thats about it until you hit the mouth and then you're exposed to open ocean.
    I was looking for structure/topography that'd be good for fishing and I really didnt see any. Just the bay.

So we proceeded to go to the mouth of the bay and troll for Kings (got skunked, still thoroughly enjoyed the day)

Costs: One-way its 66 miles additonal miles and (at least) an additonal hour and a quarter to drive to Seward, at the 14.8 MPG I get thats 8.91 gallons of gas, at an average of $3.75 a gallon (was 4.01 in Seward) that all works out to $33.44 EXTRA to just to drive to Seward, park and launch is another $10.00

Contrast to Whittier

Town and facilities are below-par (to be nice about it), parking is a long dang walk (why dont they at least build a stinking foot bridge?!), costs are: $20 tunnel, $20 launch, $10 parking.
    .....But the bay is a heck of a lot better; more structure, more and closer topography to get to; such as Esther Island, Pigot Point, Culross, etc. Just a better place to fish from a boat IMHO.
    For me, the town facilities just dont really matter - they're good enough, I'm not there for the town, I'm there to go boating and fishing.

Its a shorter drive, I'm in the water 2 and a half hours longer, and it only costs an extra $6.56 versus going to Seward, in my opinion Whittier wins hands down.
    I cant see a compelling reason to go anywhere else, I can slay Kings, Silvers and Halibut just fine within an hours boating from Whittier Harbor. Might have to go deep, but its still good fishing. And its a heck of a lot prettier to look at.

So, thats my reasoning, can anybody find fault with it?

Default your reasoning is flawed.....

You forgot to mention the shrimping!!!

Default Foot Tunnel

Do you use the pedestrian tunnel at Whittier? It works great for the far ramps but 50/50 for the near.

This will be a good one....
    I would have to say Whitter...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whittier...............
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Well I'll be buggered with a pogo stick....

I didnt even know there was a pedestrian tunnel, I always launch at the first or second ramp. Thats probably gonna change now...

I've got really messed up feet and every time I make that walk I'm always swearing up a blue streak as I'm limping along.

Mark

I like both launching spots for different reasons, different times, different events, etc.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default whittier

id rather spend my extra time on the water and i like the idea of lots of cover around being as i run a 21 foot jet boat. been in ressurection bay when i gets rough in a zodiac and would not like to be there in my jetboat with nowhere to tuck into. i can find a relativley safer route to the gulf from whittier although longer, its still safer in my boat.

I have never fished out of whittier, I have fished seward for 30+ years. I love the place. Thumbs cove, Sunny cove, Fox island, what we call the whole in the Rock, and then out to Poney. The town is great with nice places to eat and beach comb. The kids eat it up when we go down there. Cant fault you on the closeness of Whittier.

The Res. was ok for me on Saturday. I caught two kings basically back to back trolling by Castillo Head at about 160 feet on a green teaspoon with a chunk of herring, let one go because you have to this time of year. Fished over by Fox and could even get the fish finder to show anything. Fished out in the middle of the bay where the finder was marking tons, and I do mean tons of fish, and they were cod. I tried to get bait past them to the bottom as in this situation there are often halibut just underneath them feeding, but it was no use as they were really on the bite. Perhaps I saw you out there and didn't know it, I was out cruising around in my C-Dory. And like you said, it was a nice day. Neither of the kings were huge - about 20 pounds I would guess. As luck would have it, the second one that I caught was slightly bigger than the first one that was already in the cooler.

Whittier.
    We got some good shrimp numbers this weekend. No luck on Kings or Halibut as me and my friend are still figuring out PWS but I think that the runs are juuuust a bit out.
    We were thinking Montague but a couple of people onboard didn't want to go. Dang.
    Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.-Thomas Jefferson

A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.
    -Thomas Jefferson

TR; I saw a C dory on Sunday at about 7 or so as we came back, 160 feet? We were only down about 80.
    Last edited by Maast; 04-21-2008 at 21:37. Reason: Typos

Default to each his/her own

Both have +/-'s in my opinion. Whittier is obviously closer, protected and deeper. Seward, in another month will have more people as will Whittier. Like anything though, once you learn the topo, it's all is good. Better than any day I have at work anyway. I have a slip in Seward so that is my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    TR; I saw a C dory on Sunday at about 7 or so as we came back, 160 feet? We were only down about 80.
    It is likely that you were fishing too shallow. I have caught kings as low as 40-80 feet, but not often. In the Res they like being deep (for the most part) and they like green. The also like the structure around the islands, Caine's, Castillo, and the coves on the west side of the bay near Pony. I too like both places - it is hard to choose.

Default Seward Structure

There is a large hump between Cains Head (very South East Tip) and Fox Island (very North Tip) almost in that direct line. Maybe half way, if not a little bit more to Fox?
    A flat spot on top maybe 500 yards square and almost 200' deep. drops off to 400 to 600 all around it.

It's somewhat of a wash. You have to factor in the time staging for the tunnel and running through it at 25mph, then the walk, and maybe on the way back you miss one of the tunnel openings and have to wait the full hour, maybe you'll get stuck by the train getting your rig out of the parking lot. You might get an extra hour on the water between Whittier and Seward, but then typically you'll be running alot farther out from Whittier, and unless your boat is very fuel economic, that get's right expensive.

For a day trip, I'd generally prefer running down to seward, not have to mess with the tunnel and parking goat rope. For a weekend or longer trip, I'd rather run out of Whittier to the middle of the sound and explore various islands.

They are both good locations, and both different enough to have reasons to boat from both of them this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    There is a large hump between Cains Head (very South East Tip) and Fox Island (very North Tip) almost in that direct line. Maybe half way, if not a little bit more to Fox?
    A flat spot on top maybe 500 yards square and almost 200' deep. drops off to 400 to 600 all around it.
    I have caught fish in the spot that you mentioned. But I don't think it is quite that deep. But, maybe it is. Sometimes it can be good for a ling that you can't keep and sometimes a small halibut or two that are likely waiting to ambush whatever it is they are ambushing that particular day. It is a good spot to troll around once you mark it too. I probably should have tried it there Saturday, but the finder was showing nothing around it at all.

Default The Hump

The hump your talking about is about 400 ft down. I found a bunch of charter boats on it about 10-12 years ago in June. I haven't seen anyone try to fish it since.

They found some pretty good halibut on it then. They had enough anchor line to hold their place on the hump. I fished it one day by using the motor to keep my place in the middle of the charter boats. We caught 2 halibut about 40lbs. Like I said, I haven't seen any one try to fish it since. I often look for it when travelling to Sunny, Callisto or Pony.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default ok my take my opinion

I put in for a slip and in less than a year I have one 20 steps from down town in seward. I like the fact that when I needed part or help with my boat the fishhouse was there or jerry a very awsome boat seasport volvo penta shop was down the street. I have a shower food coffee and someone that has taken care of my fish and stored it tell I was ready to go home within a few steps. Spook taught me how to care for my fish and did not ask for anything I placed what I though it was worth to me in her sleeve and it meant alot to me I ave talked with peaple from all over the world about nothing and what was important to them that is priceless as most are the age of my parents watched freddy feed if you were there you would know grilled on my grill with fresh shrimp steak from down the road so far seward has been a wonderful place. if anyone has been there after 10 at night grill on it is so quiet water is so flat no one is there what more can we ask for I felt as if i was the only human on the earth enjoying this moment in time really was a good feeling

Default newbie

dang forgot to mention the fishing k here are a few pictures fron a newbie :] and that I am was my first year
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast