Thread: Juneau Creek and Trout Lake

Default Juneau Creek and Trout Lake

I am backpacking into trout lake on resurrection trail from cooper landing in early september. Can anyone tell me how the fly-fishing is on Juneau Creek and Trout Lake? I'm not looking for any specific locations, just conditions for wading, and possible patterns/equipment that I may want to bring with me. I plan on bringing a travel 6wt with spools of both floating and sink-tip line for my reel. I'm guessing that I want to bring an assortment of streamers and nymphs? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I've hiked the trail to the falls before, as I recall it was mostly in a gorge bellow me till I got to the falls..... inaccessible... the falls are too big for fish to go up but you may find grayling at the top. Crescent lake and fuller lake both have grayling in the area. Humpys, mosquitoes, gnats, griffith's gnats etc will almost certainly work. I would also bring scud patterns in various colors. When are you going? If you are looking for good fishing and you will be in the area anyway you may find better waters in the area. I have fished that area a lot having grown up there but would like to hear what you find past the falls. You could fish the stream above the falls I think. I would stop in for sure at Trout Fitters by the bridge there. They would know, they always know where the good fishing is. When are you going?
    River Runnin

Default Dates

I'll be coming into Cooper Landing on September 4th. My girlfriend and I are going backpacking on Resurrection Trail th 5th through the 7th. I think we are going to be on the Kenai Penninsula for a day or two after our hike, before we head to Denali Nat. Park. I would definitely like to make it out for a few hours wherever I can, to fish for some bows, before we head to Denali. Her parents are going to meet us after the hike, so maybe I can possibly get a guide, and introduce her father to fly-fishing as well. Can't wait for the trip, and I am sure this brief introduction will keep me coming back for years to come, when I can spend much more time fly-fishing. I've been researching quite a bit about the area, and have heeded some information from friends that have fished Alaska, but they have all gone with guides or spent time in camps in the back-country. I can't afford that luxury at this time, and need to strike out on my own, unless I can get her father to take a guided trip. It's a long way off, but I will definitely let you know how I do on Juneau Creek and Trout Lake during our trip. Thanks for the info on the patterns, I will be sure to bring them along.

Make no mistake in September! There will be some of the most amazing opportunities down there for bow's! If not for a full day from Fairbanks and my school schedule I'd be there every weekend from late August through October! Do your hike, it will be beautiful, ask trout fitters for sure, and try to get a float of the canyon, that time of year someone seems to get a big one every time a boat hits the canyon if your guided!

Also, I work by Denali as a guide all summer. Any of the little streams along the road have grayling. Also look into the Silver runs if you really need something (if the runs are off again this year) Lbs for Lbs some of the fightingest fish you will find!
    River Runnin