Thread: Box of hunting ammo gets you 3 yrs in the slammer

Default Box of hunting ammo gets you 3 yrs in the slammer

Makes me wonder how folks manage to go hunting over there?

MOSCOW A Moscow court on Monday sentenced a U.S. pastor to more than three years in prison for smuggling hunting ammunition into Russia.
    Phillip Miles, from South Carolina, has been in custody since his arrest on Feb. 3. He was arrested several days after customs agents at a Moscow airport found a box of 20 rifle shells in his luggage.
    The court sentenced him to serve three years and two months in prison, with the sentence calculated from his detention date.
    Miles has said he brought the .300 caliber cartridges for a friend who had recently bought a Winchester rifle. He said he did not know bringing such ammunition into Russia was illegal.
    Judge Olga Drozdova accepted in her 20-minute summation that Miles had brought the ammunition for a friend, "as they are both inveterate hunters."
    The cartridges were not initially found as he flew into Moscow. They were detected a day later as airport security put his luggage through an X-ray machine while he was on his way to check in for a flight to Perm, a city in Siberia.
    Miles was dressed in a gray jacket and clerical collar for his sentencing.

"I'm very disappointed. It's a strange sentence for one box of hunting bullets," he said as court bailiffs led him in handcuffs from the courtroom cage, where defendants in Russian criminal courts are held during trial.
    His lawyer said the sentence was surprisingly severe.
    "I hoped he would only be found guilty of the illegal possession of ammunition," Vladimir Ryakhovsky said.
    He said the conviction for smuggling was unfounded as his client had acted without any intent to break the law.
    An appeal will be filed within 10 days, he said.
    Miles seemed relaxed throughout the judge's summation.
    His interpreter struggled to keep up with the judge's delivery and stopped at various points throughout the sentencing. At one point, Miles tapped the interpreter's elbow to remind her to resume.
    Miles has admitted bringing in the shells, but said he did not bother to check if Russian laws differed from U.S. laws.
    But Drozdova said the court could not condone ignorance of Russian customs regulations and noted Miles had visited the country more than 10 times.
    She also stressed repeatedly that information on baggage limitations was available in the airport in both English and Russian.
    Ryakhovsky said, however, that leaflets in the airport contained no specific references to a prohibition on taking cartridges onto flights.
    "The judge's finding on that front was dishonest," he said.
    Miles will remain in a Moscow jail until the appeal.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Shame

Thats a Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Thats a Shame.
    Yep, big time

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"He said he did not know bringing such ammunition into Russia was illegal."

How he could possibly behave in this manner is simply unfathomable to me. It is a foreign country, with foreign laws. Either this guy is simply stupid, possessed of infantile naivete, or a typical ugly American. Probably some of each.

It is however tragic, as the tuberculosis rate is Russian prisons is near 90% and almost all of it is unresponsive to the best drugs available. This may turn out to be a death sentence if his appeal cannot get him off.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Makes me wonder how folks manage to go hunting over there?
    Permits. proper permits.

I was in the Navy Aboard the USS Saratoga CV-60 in the early years of the 1980's.
    While on deployment over seas and before every port we pulled into we were given a pamplet with their rules and laws and our Capt. would stress to us to read and understand the laws because Ignorance of the law would get you locked up .

When we came back from our Med cruise we were 5 men shy !!!!!
    They were in jail .............

This Pastor should of taken the time to brush up on their law's for transporting ammo and it is a shame he is in jail for his Ignorance, his family will pay the price.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

"He said he did not know bringing such ammunition into Russia was illegal."

How he could possibly behave in this manner is simply unfathomable to me. It is a foreign country, with foreign laws. Either this guy is simply stupid, possessed of infantile naivete, or a typical ugly American. Probably some of each.
    Sooo... even if this guy did try to sneak this ammo in, (which is debatatable)...it's deserving of 3 yrs in jail?

Yep, he definitely should have asked the question, especially in this day and age of extreme air travel security. But 3 yrs in Jail???

1. Yes, he did violate their laws.
    2. It was a violation of a regulation and not a crime which is evil in of itself.
    3. Now it might seem ok the have 3 years in the slammer being buggered by serial killers, for some folks....But really..

Now, for those read and follow every regulation being used to restrict us sporting types, just replace Moscow Russia in your mind with Moscow Idaho...
    Far fetched you say, well ask the folks who live in Mass, NY or Calif.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Sooo... even if this guy did try to sneak this ammo in, (which is debatatable)...it's deserving of 3 yrs in jail?

Yep, he definitely should have asked the question, especially in this day and age of extreme air travel security. But 3 yrs in Jail???
    You are thinking like an American. Stop. That is Russia. In Russia it might very well be a perfectly fine sentence.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Talking shiping ammo

It seems that shipping ammo almost anywhere is a pretty grey area. Look at all the posts here on that subject. To Alaska, from, through Canada, out of, how much, airline restrictions, and on and on. I do agree that it's an individual's responsibility to know the rules, no matter though. And yes, three years seems a little stiff.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

If the truth were known the sentence probably had more to do with the fact that the guy was a pastor from the US than the fact that he he had a box of ammo.

The Rooskie government strongly guards against religious infiltration especially if its a Bible based religion which most in the US are!

Talking

Obviously every country has a right to make and enforce its own laws but 3 years for allegedly smuggling a box of ammo seems a bit excessive to me.

I'm confident the Russian mafia makes a lot more money peddling drugs and prostitution than hiring American pastors to smuggle in .300 caliber ammuntion. Although, I hear you can get a pretty penny for .243 Winchester ammo, "Psst...hey comrade...you wanna buy a box of 243 Winchester 100 grain Nosler Partitions? Good stuff...they're Federal Premiums...I guarantee you'll like em."

Default Prosecution or persecution!

I concer with the last fellow.He is a Christian Pastor in a (former) athiestic Communist State. This isn't just about a box of hunting ammo, it's a political statement. I trust Miss Rice is going to give the Cremlin a call!!