Thread: "full sun" flowers/plants

Question "full sun" flowers/plants

I want to plant some flowers in front and side of the house. My questions is what kind to get. I have full sun from the side to front of the house from 8:00 till 6:00. Any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

little log cabin on the river

Default some suggestions for you...

Well since no one wants to chime here I have a few suggestions for your “full sun” flowerbed… Wildflower mixes do very well in full sun. Denali Seed makes several mixes that are really lovely, require little care and don't need fancy soil or fertilizers. The Alaska Bouquet mix are annuals, and the Wildflower Meadow Mix are a blend of annuals and perennials and both grow somewhere between 1 and 3 feet tall. I usually start these flowers inside about a month before the last frost and planting in my outside flowerbed. You can just sow the seeds directly in the garden as soon as you can work the soil in the spring as well.

Another favorite flower of ours is the nasturtium. It can handle full sun and is another hardy, easy to care for and beautiful plant. The leaves and flowers are edible too. They are more of a ground cover plant and will grow about a foot tall.

Pansy’s do very well in Alaska and in full sun. They are so hardy that they will keep blooming well into the fall even after a hard frost.

Shirley Poppies are quite breathtaking flowers as well, but are a bit fragile when it comes to lots of rainy weather.

If you want something tall you might try planting a few sunflower seeds in the back row. Beware they can grow 5 feet tall, and look more like “Jack and the Giants” beanstalk, but the huge sunflowers are really something as they turn their "faces" and follow the sun all day long. I always try to add one or two of these special flowers to my flower garden.

I am sure there are many more. These are just a few of my favorites.

Good luck,
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Default agree

Alaska Grandma pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I like delpheniums but they do need to be staked as they get very tall. But they are worth the effort! Columbine are really easy and have lots of colors and are hardy. I have a bed that is just for peonies. They take a while to establish but I think they are worth the wait. Tiger lilies and other asiatics do well in full sun. Rugosa Roses do well too and are pretty hardy. Bleeding hearts do good but they tend to be done by July if they are in direct sun. They last longer into the summer in the shadier parts of the yard. I plant tulips in between the other plants so that I get some really early spring color! Then the other plants come in and I cut the tulips back and enjoy what comes up next. Phlox are pretty but not as hardy and I am waiting to see if they made it through the winter. These are all perennials but there are lots of annuals too. I agree with AK Grandma about Nastertiums they really put on a show and last well into the fall, even after a couple of hard frosts. I just learned that you can eat them too. I guess the flowers taste like radishes? Never tried them but might this year. HOpe that helps give you some ideas.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. You guys/gals were very informative.

Default Sunflowers

Excellent advice from all. Alaska Grandma mentioned sunflowers growing 4-5 feet high. I have around 10 of them and most of them are 5-6 ft. One of them, however, has now topped my roof! I live in a ranch-style house and haven't measured, but it has to be 10 feet! That is the tallest one I've ever seen. Anyone else grow any this big?

Default canary bird vine

I have some canary bird vine at our new place that is just going absolutely berzerk.

It's viney - with medium green leaves and quarter sized bright yellow , slightly ruffly flowers. The bed gets direct sun for most of the day, so it is hot and on the dry side.

4 or 5 plants are completely taking over the 4'x4' bed they are in. I put up a cone-like trellis for them, so the bed looks like a big yellow cone.

I really do like it, but I will try to plan for it a little better next time. It is taking over the bed so much that it is overwhelming the rest of the plants. Kind of looks like an invasion.

It is billed as an annual and I have never seen it re-seed itself. (I have probably planted it 3 or 4 years now in different places.)