Thread: Favorite Spots for mid June

Default Favorite Spots for mid June

I'm planning an unguided trip for mid June and need some help... I'll be fishing with my 19 year old son and it's our first time to Alaska!

We'll have an RV and 10 days to find fish and experience as much of the State as possible. Fishing will be the priority, but if we need to cover some distance to find 'em, all the better.

We're open to any species or tactics, as long as we get into some good fish (size or numbers) - but I would like to land at least one nice salmon.

We'll be wadefishing primarily but are open to renting a boat/canoe for lake fishing.

We'd like to do a hike-in and backcounty fish camp for a day or so along the way.

I'll be grateful for any guidance you can offer.

Many thanks!

The Russian River for Reds.

Kenai for Kings
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

depending on weather, i prefer lone island,main bay,or montague island.worse comes to worse i get away frrom people and the views are wonderful.jeff

Default Mid June fishing

For your hike out/camp out fishing adventure, there is no question that the Swanson River Canoe Trails is the place to be in Mid June (that is where I'll be on my days off of the Kenai). You will be away from people, surrounded by wilderness with some awesome stillwater fishing.

For salmon, I will echo the Russian River and Kenai River suggestions. Also add the Kasilof River and possibly Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik (check regulations for open dates).

Halibut will be in full swing in Ninilchik, Homer and Seward as well as Whittier, and Valdez and other spots.

Kodiak is also a place to seriously consider (ferry ride from Homer or Seward).

You might also consider the Mat-Su rivers and streams for salmon fishing in Mid June.

10 days will be enough for a very brief introduction to fishing in the state. Consider this: Alaska has more coastline than the entire contintental US combined!!! It is a massive state. We like to say that we could cut Alaska in half and Texas would be the 3rd largest state... It really takes a lifetime to truly experience all that Alaska has to offer.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDave View Post
    I'm planning an unguided trip for mid June and need some help... I'll be fishing with my 19 year old son and it's our first time to Alaska!

We'll have an RV and 10 days to find fish and experience as much of the State as possible. Fishing will be the priority, but if we need to cover some distance to find 'em, all the better.

We're open to any species or tactics, as long as we get into some good fish (size or numbers) - but I would like to land at least one nice salmon.

We'll be wadefishing primarily but are open to renting a boat/canoe for lake fishing.

We'd like to do a hike-in and backcounty fish camp for a day or so along the way.

I'll be grateful for any guidance you can offer.

Many thanks!
    You can either see the state, drive a lot, or fish. If you want to fish then decide if you want to be on the Kenai Pensulia or Mat-Su valley. When you chose one spend all 10 days there. I would suggest hireing a guide for one day at the beginning of your trip if you are not familliar with the nechniques used here. I would also suggest taking a salt water charter for at least one day. There should be plenty of fish available just spend a lot of time reading and re reading the regulations.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/