Thread: essential fishing gear

Default essential fishing gear

Hi,

I'm coming to Alaska with my folks at the end on June. We will be going around driving and hiking a lot, possibly.

I think everybody is allowed to do a little bit of fishing prior buying a permission somewhere.
    I'm not an experienced angler but I wouldn't mind throwing the line in some river while we are hiking around.

Would sombody be so kind to tell me which is the essential gears I should bring along if I wanna give fishing a try? What would it be the best technic to use if I don't wanna buy more than line and hooks?

Also info about fishing permits is welcome.

Cheers

Francesco

Pick up Gunnar Pederson's book The Highway Angler for places and equipment. If you are bringing only one rod make it a 7 foot medium heavy (10 to 20#) rod and a reel to match

Half way down the page

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...Path=5&&page=3

For what you are describing I say just go get yourself a back packing rod. They come in 2 styles. breakdown and telecoping. They are not going to be heavy duty rods but they will work fine for trout, grayling, and small salmon. I have had a telescoping rod for about 16 years it cost me about $30 (at that time) and has been a very valuable tool. I carry it almost all the time. It is a little light weight for salmon but it can be done.
    I would also get one of those small plastic flyboxes to hold your tackle.
    You might want to say where you are going and how long you will be hear. That way you will get more directed information.
    In general I would carry a few small spinners maybe a spoon a couple plain hooks and a few sinkers. (tin sinkers don't work very well so if you get them expect to use 3 times as many as lead)

Fishing license are required and you will want a set of fishing regulations.

Good luck and Have fun.

Beer and Cheerleaders. Sorry could not resist. Like Drifter said. Pick up the book. Im a 26 year resident of alaska and I have that book and a few others but his is excellent. If you read the book it will give you and idea of where you can fish and what to use. No permits but license is required and they do get checked. Pick up the regs like was stated and if you have any other questions you have found the best place to ask them and have them answered
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default essential fishing gear

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all your replies.
    Sounds like the option of a very cheap fishing rod could work out for me.
    I'll be doing the usual touristic tour:
    -Arriving in Anchorage (14th June);
    -going straight away to Denali NP to spend 3/4 days (where I believe fishing is not allowed);
    -going up to Fairbanks;
    -down to Tok;
    -2 or 3 days into Wrangell-St. Elias (I was thinking to access the park from Nabesna road instead of going all the way to Kennicott);
    -2 or 3 days in Valdez;
    -spend the rest of the time (a week or so) in the Kenai peninsula (from 27th June to 2nd July).

I'm sure we will be hiking the Russian Lakes trail for a couple of days.
    So I think I'll just buy a permit for 2/3 days in Kenai (sounds alright?) hence I thing there is no point in buying some expensive equipment (because of the permit and because of my poor fishing skills).

I think at this link I can find any info I need about fishing regulation in Alaska:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/reghome.cfm

One more question I've got:
    Would it be better to pack my own rod or maybe it is better to buy/rent something somewhere in Alaska? This is just a money concern...

have you got any link to some store, so I can take a look to the kind of rod you are suggenting and check out prices?

Thanks everybody for the replies and tips I've got so far.

Cheers

Francesco

-going straight away to Denali NP to spend 3/4 days (where I believe fishing is not allowed);
    Fishing is allowed in the park. There just is not much to fish for, Grayling are present in many of the streams and there are lake trout in Wonder Lake.

If you just plan on fishing Kenai then don't worry about gear. Buy what you need at Trustworthy Hardware in soldotna. They will make sure that you have the appropriate setup for what you want to fish. http://www.soldotnahardware.com/
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/