Thread: Pack questions

Default Pack questions

Long post warning

For the past five or six years I have had a day pack that has always been too smal for my build but i have persevered because I was to stingy to buy a proper pack. I usually jam about 25 or 30 pounds into it (spotting scope and tripod, first aid kit, water, survival kit, GPS, camera, extra ammo etc etc etc.

I got injured at work a couple of years ago and now I have a c6/7 disc drama and the pack plays up a treat with it, to the point where I missed almost a full days hunting on my recent Red Stag hunt because of it.

This brings me to my question, a long way there I know, but anyways....

Seeing Barneys frames/bags gets such a good deal round here, I was curious whether a Barneys frame and pack would be considered to big to use as a day pack, but with the notion that one day I will get back to Alaska and to other out of the way places where such a rig would be useful. I have these thoughts because everyone says how good the Barneys frame fits and feels.

Thanks

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Default Badlands???

Ozhunter,

Like you I carry all that stuff as well. Whether I'm snowmachining, fourwheeling, or hiking. I always have all that stuff on my back. I bought this pack and it does all I need. Plus it has the ability to hold a bow or rifle which worked out well for carrying my rifles while out snowmachining. It has a specific pocket for a spotting scope, another for a water bladder, and tons of other pockets too. Keeps things well organized and is super comfortable to wear. Course with all the goodies in it I often refer to when talking to my buddies as the "bag thats worth more than your life" Just a thought.

Default Thanks Alaska_Lanche

That pack looks like it would hold a bunch of stuff, but it looks to be about the size of the pack I have now.

I am large boned (six five and two fifty and a bit) and those style of pack just don't fit me proper.

Thats why I was looking at going to sometning like the Barneys' system, lots of folks here have said the freighter frame has lots of adjustment and is super comfortable.

I'm curious as to whether those who know more than me think the freighter is too big to use a day pack, bearing in mind my delicate stature and the injury.

oz

I think you have many options if you keep your mind open... my father uses one of those paramilitary camouflaged packs as a heavy-duty daypack. (I don't know its manufacturer... blackhawk?) It will hold as much as he can carry. Another option is one of those "lightweight" backpacks some hikers use. They're kind of like talll daypacks, and sometimes have internal suspension systems to help distribute weight. They're not very tough, though they might be better for your back.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default Barneys frame

It's hijacking the thread a little, but I started it so....

never having seen a Barneys frame in the flesh. is it doable to fix a pack other than one of his to the frame. I thought it would be, if you didn't mind rendering the pack useless for anything but that frame.

Thanks

oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    It's hijacking the thread a little, but I started it so....

never having seen a Barneys frame in the flesh. is it doable to fix a pack other than one of his to the frame. I thought it would be, if you didn't mind rendering the pack useless for anything but that frame.

Thanks

oz
    They sell the frame as a stand alone. I bought mine years ago and added a Cabela's Alaska Guide bag. They all attach with the same grommet pattern to my knowledge.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default options

try an Eberlestock or Kifaru. Kifaru will be made for your measurements and should fit you good. plus it will carry alot.

Hi Oz. Good to "see" you again. One year I used one of my friends Barney's pack frames. I attached an older Kelty bag to it. Most all the holes lined up with no problem. It worked great on a 10 day 60 mile walkin is sheep hunt.

The harness is quite adjustable for your torso length. However, I would contact Barneys and ask them what the range is for Torso adjustment. Measure your own torso and make sure it will go long enough. You can't go by how tall another guy is. He might be all legs with a shorter torso. Here are a couple links that show how to measure your torso length in case your not aware of how to do it.

http://www.whitemountain.com.au/fitt...ength_faq.html
    http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping/rei...camp/fitbkpk2f
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up Thanks Snyd.......

I reckon I'll do that.

PM sent

oz