Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear hunting in Fairbanks

Default Black Bear hunting in Fairbanks

I am pretty new to the Fairbanks area, I have lived here for about a year and a half, but I grew up in Wasilla. I am looking to do some black bear hunting pretty soon. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good round about area to start, of course without giving up your hunting spot. I was out last september moose hunting and saw a blackie, but he was to far to take a shot. I don't know how territorial they are and if I might see him again. Any input would definately help. I have a couple of buddies who are going to set up a bait station, so I might give that a try too.

20B.....theres your round about area....like I told the last guy looking for info on black bear hunting around fairbanks...ya right...there are enough people baiting in fairbanks area so getting info out of us is pretty slim... Good luck

Default Bear area

Quote Originally Posted by carman99 View Post
    I am pretty new to the Fairbanks area, I have lived here for about a year and a half, but I grew up in Wasilla. I am looking to do some black bear hunting pretty soon. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good round about area to start, of course without giving up your hunting spot. I was out last september moose hunting and saw a blackie, but he was to far to take a shot. I don't know how territorial they are and if I might see him again. Any input would definately help. I have a couple of buddies who are going to set up a bait station, so I might give that a try too.

Try heading North towards Livengood. Head north on the highway until you get to 28 Mile. Vicinity of White Mountain trails. Then go left or West towards the pipline and beyond. Good bear area. You can even move a little further north towards Livengood and also do well. Expect to see others in the area.

Default that's my spot

...i couldn't resist.
    there's a lot of good areas around fairbbanks. a bunch of people hunt the logging areas from ester to nenana. murphy dome to chatanika r, steese hwy on the south side heading toward 12 mile summit, chsr, salchaket slough if you have a boat. really a little more effort (miles burning gas) separates you from larger crowds. but the interior is good for bears. if unsure about one spot on a map vs another F$G can be a little more helpful than if you're asking for moose spots. good luck.

Default my area too...

Wow that was the worse advise ever. I know of at least 15-20 bait stations in the area he told you. After bait season it is a great place to go or look for berry patches.

Question A few?

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post
    Wow that was the worse advise ever. I know of at least 15-20 bait stations in the area he told you. After bait season it is a great place to go or look for berry patches.
    Last year there were approximately 48 stations alone off Standard Creek Road....

Default wow!

Man that is alot of fat sows and cubs.

This post inspired me last night to skip work today and go and get at least some of my station set up. For fear of the ever intrusive fellow soldier. However, the snow was 2-3 foot deep in spots and heavy. I turned around after a mile (I'm 5 miles out) beacuse my gypsie wagon of crap I was hauling was plowing through the snow. I am definalty going to wait until the first week of may to set up stuff.

Default A good spot

If you have your hunters education card the YTA is great place to spot for bears, of course you have to deal with the Army training and not all areas being open all the time. However it is a huge are with good road access. If you call range control they will let you know were bearshave been spotted. I know there are alot of baiters there, however, it has alot of hill sides that no one would bait on. Pm me if you would like a map I can get one from work.

Default Read the post

Quote Originally Posted by garrison1012 View Post

Garrison, read the original post. The guy was asking for a place to hunt not an assesment as to how stands may or may not be in the area. Stop by ADF&G in Fairbanks they can confirm which area has the most stands and which doesn't.

Stay away from the YTA, it's full of grizzly's. You will donate a lot of time and bait to these critters. Not to mention they tear up your bait area.

Default well

Mr Dustoff......you can drive for five minutes in any direction from fairbanks and be hunting. I assume he is refering to a place that is not swamped with poeple. He didnt even mention that he wanted to bait. I mentioned the several bait stations in the White Mountains as not the best place because
    A: the heavy traffic from four wheelers during the baiting season will push the bears deeper in the woods.
    B: The amount of bait will keep the bears in the woods. They dont have travel far for food if there are 48 bait stations parralleling a road

yes the YTA has Grizz however it doesnt a forth of the hunters, and has several good places to glass. I know there are alot of blackies there as well. I spent over four months living there last summer.

I hope he finds success no matter were he goes. There is enough alaska for all of us. The more he drives the farther he will get away from poeple.
    The original post was a little loaded to begin with. He doesnt refer to the method he plans to use or time of year.

Cant you just fly around and tell us were all the bears are anyways?

You could go to a place where you( suspect) a lot of bait stations to be. Turn on a e-caller and wamo. You could shoot a brown (grizz) or a blacky. As long as you don't know for sure where the bait stations are. Me, It looks like I'm taking a boat out of whitter with the other half of the state .

Default tricky....

now you are playing the fine line of ethics.....calling were you know bears are influenced by bait. My buddy actually talked to the F&G dude yesterday and the DA about the definition of "influenced by bait" and they said basically if is not on your bait they cant legally charge you for knowing. Unless it is a problem bear (griz) or one seen often and multiple poeple anad they and you know its eating from your statoin and you pop it cus its a little ways away from it.

My question is how effective would calling a bear off bait be. I know they dont travel far from bait, and they rest during the hot times and pigout when its cool. I know I wouldn't go chasing a wounded rabbit if I have 48 barrells that have a wider menu selection then Denny's. I bet some poeples bait taste better than Denny's. especially the one in Fairbanks.

Anyways best hunting to all of you! I noiced the original poster hasnt responded, I wonder why.

A e caller near my bait will bring in more than a grizz, it also brings in some lead.........

Here's a spot for you if you have a wheeler. Drive up to Murphy Dome and park you truck on top. Ride your wheeler back down the road a short ways and turn right, this road takes you all the way down to the Chatanika and there are plenty of bears down that way. Baiting is the best way to hunt this area so you still have time to put one out. One thing, you may run into some big snow patches before the road starts to go downhill, you might be able to go around and you might not. Good luck.

Default you already know

If you saw a bear last year, then you already know where to start. Think about the time of year and what the bears are likely to be eating. Bears can move around quite a bit, but they're never going to be far from food. Bear hunters are probably more territorial than bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    Garrison, read the original post. The guy was asking for a place to hunt not an assesment as to how stands may or may not be in the area. Stop by ADF&G in Fairbanks they can confirm which area has the most stands and which doesn't.

Stay away from the YTA, it's full of grizzly's. You will donate a lot of time and bait to these critters. Not to mention they tear up your bait area.
    What is the "YTA"? And how do you call "range control"?

bd

YTA....Yukon Training Area maybe???

Default yes it is

yes thge YTA is is the Yukon Training Area, it is ran bye the Army but located adjacent to Eilson

Default From the back of my Black Bear Bait Station card

#6. No person who knows, or should know, that a bait station has been established in an area may take a brown bear if that person knows, or should know, that the movements or behavor of the brown bear have been affected by the bait.

This is straight off the back of my black bear bait registration card from ADF&G. So, if you were planning to try and call up a Griz in places where you know alot of bait stands are. Well, you might have some explaining to do later. Not sure if you meant calling Black Bear or Griz... Just thought everyone should know.

Default i think...

we all know, the problem is its difficult for law enforcment to prove, and difficult for the hunter avoid when hunting close to populated areas. I mean can you think of a place within a 30 minute drive from fairbanks were there isnt a bait station. I mean any one with a brain knows the Parks, and white mountians are loaded with baitstations.

A remedy would be for F&G to have digital map with that can be accessed via the internet with registered bait staions on it. This would allow new baiter to know were to begin and were those old stations aren't being used.

I have asked fish and game about how many are registered were I am and they just said there was several and at that time they couldnt show me. I dont know if they do it later in the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast