Thread: Cabin Mistakes....

Default Cabin Mistakes....

What mistakes have you encountered? Made? Might be good for a chuckle, but might be a great learning experience too!

Mike

We added a second story to our place left came back a week later and a Pack Rat had moved in. What a mess to say the least! How did something that big get in? Well it was night time so we turned on all the lanterns we had and went outside and walked around looking for any light other than through the windows. Needless to say the footprint of the new addition was a little short in one area about 2 feet by 1 foot that didn't get enclosed.

Mistake Hmmm
    I guess the one that comes to mind right now would be to sand and finish the walls before you move anything in. It makes a really big mess if you don't

Default Not Big enough!

Should have made it bigger the first time, may have to add on and I haven't even finished it completely yet! Live and learn I guess

I made a huge mistake with my first built-from-the-ground-up cabin. It was a nice 16x22, handbuilt from dead standing, dry logs, hand peeled with a drawknife, full round, saddle notched corners, on 40 acres. The mistake was, I sold it!!!! And to make it even worse, I moved to a town. Geez, what an idiot!

Sorry, that wasnt very funny was it?

Default Mistakes we made

When we built our home it started as a 12x24 we added on as we went along..The problem we found was it was on post and block and it heaved in different spots..So when we went to do some work under it once we hooked to the grid the ground had about 2ft from the floor LOLOLOL The other prob it heaved so bad one winter we had light coming between the original wall and the kitchen add on ...Oh ya where we had added on the first bedroom section and the pantry later on well for the first few years each spring break up I had a flood because the roof leaked. OH I miss it I really do I wish we could go back....We fixed the roof by building a false roof on that side. Hope I was helpful .Chil

The four bedroom cabin we built in Petersville was obviously too big and not enough weight in the middle, so it always heaves in that area. The way we have found to remedy this problem is to cut out the center pilings and laminate 3 LVL's across the span from one end to the other. We still haven't done it, but IT WILL HAPPEN!

Although our remote living is just a tad different, we have a whole different take on our experience.

1. add 20% more to costs if you are doing a construction loan because you never know when prices might skyrocket and then you'll be paying out of pocket like crazy

2. never retract from a plan that you have made... even if the thoughts of the plan include things that you think that you might need. it will cost you more in the long run... again, making that 20% more that you requested worthwhile, but the time... who knows... might not be worth it

3. be sure to have your electrician's, plumber (if you have one), and drywalling guy's numbers handy just in case you have questions or need them immediately... or leave it with your wife in case SHE has questions.

4. be sure to finish the whole thing before completely moving in. moving in a little bit at a time is stressful and you get less done because you think that you are done when in actuality, you really aren't... you are just living in it.

5. always think of alternate ways of heating instead of depending on natural gas or diesel which both are starting to get costly now.

6. have humidifiers in your home. all your wood product might start to crack (including, but not limited to your cabinet or instruments).

7. keep taking advice from people who have roughed it!

8. insulate. insulate. insulate.

9. cut wood. store wood. keep wood dry. wood. wood. wood.

Does this help?

Oh... our stories?
    In a tent for 107 days (until the husband went moose hunting).
    Lived in a 2 room area for 4 months. (and worked my business out of that space for that long as well)
    Had no flooring for 10 months.
    Only had 3 interior doors for 5 months.
    Grilling, microwave, wood stove, griddle, and coffee machine was the name of the food game for 4 months.
    Insulation gave us major heating loss issues. I should have just taken care of it.
    Had no plumbing for... well... quite some time.

Honestly? All of it was worth it.
    I miss our tent!
    ~COtoAK
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
    Mistake Hmmm
    I guess the one that comes to mind right now would be to sand and finish the walls before you move anything in. It makes a really big mess if you don't
    Oh, yes, sister. Drywall dust gets into everything and never wants to come out! I had no choice but to move in and finish the drywall later. But that wasn't my biggest mistake. My biggest mistake (driven by budget) was not putting in enough storage.

The smaller the living space, the more closets, cabinets, shelves, nooks, and crannies you need to stash stuff. Wish I had read this before I started building.