Thread: Spring Skiing is Here!

Thumbs up Spring Skiing is Here!

What a day! We started at the South Fork trailhead and skiied back a few miles. Right where the trail drops down to the bridge we started to slowly climb through the trees and then up into the next bowl. It was HOT and we were all quickly in short sleeves.

We were planning to eventually ski the face in the background of the next picture, but once we hit that summit we saw that the next bowl over looked even better.

Here is where we decided to keep going. My two friends didn't go much further, but I continued to the next rocky peak.

Here is a shot looking back at the ridge I skinned and the last little pitch I climbed with skis in hand.

A few shots of the view from where I began my decent.

Needless to say, I was excited! This is one of my attempts at taking a self portrait.

This is the view down the run I skied. It was a bit tricky navigating my way through the initial rocks, but it was a fun challenge. Below the rocks it was inconsistent for a while, with a little bit of wind-blown ice thrown in with the light snow. About 1/3 of the way down, though, it turned into beautiful sun-softened snow.

After I had decended about halfway, I took this shot of my friend across the other side of the bowl.

A view of my tracks from the bottom:

And a view of our three sets of tracks from the road on the other side of the valley. Mine are the set furthest to the left.

Right on Brian. Looks like it was an epic day. We spent the day yesterday getting sunburnt skiing in 60 degree temps. Probably my last day for the season.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Nice pictures. How much longer do you think you'll be able to ski that area? I was up in Ram Valley today, and it was beautiful, but just too much work to get to the skiable terrain.

Default Ram Valley Monday

Default Ram Valley Monday

The snow was pretty unstable. I kept off the steeps.

I would say we've got at least another week or two, though you might have to boot it in certain places. The bowl we actually skied had plenty of snow. We're hopefully going again Thursday and then again on the weekend, so I'll post updates as I have them.

Nice pics, by the way. Thanks for sharing!

Talk about scenery- yet I honestly can say I'd rather see those slopes with rolling green grass

Default The April Assault of South Fork Valley

Here are some more pics from our Skiing adventures with Brian Mason and Friends. I'm still showing off my sunglass/goggle tan. I had a blast Brian. Lets go do it again real soon. We should be able to ski corn through May and into June in some places. I'm game for turns always. Later, Ryno

Not to be too self-absorbed, but I'm loving that last shot of me. Thanks, Ryan! I'm usually the guy taking the pictures, so it's nice to have a good one of myself.

Great photos everyone. I absolutely love these stories told through the photos.

However, the weatherman said last night it was supposed to be 48 today here in Anchorage, and it is snowing outside my office right now. Yeah, I blame you guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    However, the weatherman said last night it was supposed to be 48 today here in Anchorage, and it is snowing outside my office right now. Yeah, I blame you guys!!!
    Blame us? Don't you mean you want to thank us??

Let it snow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Blame us? Don't you mean you want to thank us??

Let it snow!!!
    I have read lots of discussions about how crazy it is to drive the Glenn in from Eagle River, or worse, Palmer and Wasilla. I had to drive out to Boniface from my office at lunch. That was PLENTY for my liking. So yeah, it is definitely a BLAME thing. I know it will be great for you skiing guys, but for those of us who were just starting to dream of warmer days, jogging on dry streets, playing golf, and fishing, we curse the snow (really, just ask my ask my co-worker about when I got back from lunch ).

Your pictures from upcoming ski trips on this forum better be worth it Brian!!!

Default Maggie the Ski Hound

I think this dog enjoys it more than I do.

Exclamation avalanche

I'm not a skier but do hike alot. Any worry about avalanches... I was up on the hill Thurs and with the warm temps the snow was pretty unstable, I had to turn around from my original plan.

Quote Originally Posted by outdsman View Post
    I'm not a skier but do hike alot. Any worry about avalanches... I was up on the hill Thurs and with the warm temps the snow was pretty unstable, I had to turn around from my original plan.
    You may want to take a look at the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Advisory. Although they are now only updating it once a week (5 times per week until early April most winters), there is some good information there about avalanche warning signs. This time of year can get pretty unstable, particularly late in the afternoon on sunny days or when new rain falls on the snow surface. You were probably right to turn around yesterday. I was going to ski yesterday, but decided against it after getting a report similar to yours from Wednesday. The late afternoon snowpack becomes loose and unconsolidated, and that snow can pretty easily break loose and start to slide. Even more dangerous is snow right underneath dark, exposed rocks. The heating of the rocks leads to point release slides that can grow quickly as they propagate down the mountain.

Always trust your instinct if you think it's time to turn around. Always err on the side of caution. This time of year can be great in the mountains, but the avalanche season is not over. We're entering a new slide cycle, so be aware and cautious. Lastly, go with someone and carry avalanche rescue gear if going into avalanche terrain.