Thread: Load data 7mm-08

Default Load data 7mm-08

I am loading some 7-08 rounds for my daughter's rifle. She has not shot any rifle bigger than my AR-15, but wants to go deer hunting with me this year. She is very small and I want to start her out with a very mild recoiling round in her rifle.

My question is regarding minimum powder charges. What is it that sets the lowest charge weight? Is that the lowest charge that will reliably fire the round? What would happen if I was to go below the suggested minimum charge weight? Thanks, John

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

AKdutch:

I was hoping that someone else would answer your question, because I donít understand, all I think I know about this.

Going much below the low end charges shown in loading manuals could result in erratic burn of the powder.

Some Loading manuals caution against using loads that are less than the lowest charge shown in the data. I wonít try to explain why, because my explanation would be composed of, at least some speculation, as Iím not sure just where SEE (Secondary Explosive Effect) becomes an issue.

Reportedly, you can use a certain powder, and be safe if you donít go below 60% of a full charge.

My suggestion, would be to use the lightest adequate bullet weight, and the low end charge of whatever powder you choose that is found in your loading data.

Iíve seen data for Reduced Recoil Loads, but I donít know where it can be found. Hopefull, someone will post that information, for us.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Thanks

for the reply Smitty. I really was hoping for more responses though. I did load some rounds below the minimum charge and shot them yesterday. I shot a few of each charge to make sure they were ok and then let my daughter shoot one. It was close to what she can handle, but I think we can work up slowly from where I left off at.

I really would like to hear from some of you long time loaders to hear your wisdom on minimum charges. Murphy?..... I must clarify though, that she will not be hunting with these low powder loads, but I want her to start shooting centerfire, besides the AR-15, with loads she won't be afraid of. I also want her to start with a rifle she can grow into and use for moose or bou eventually. I figure a blacktail hunt will be a good place to start. John

Default Reduced Power Loads

AK Dutch,
    First of all never load above OR below what is listed in the manuals. I worked in the ammo industry and a lot goes into determining these limits, too much to discuss here. To reduce felt recoil you can shoot a lighter bullet at minimum charge. You can also add weight to the rifle. One technique is to tape strips of lead to the forearm and off side of the stock. An extra pound makes a big difference and is easily removed. Finally, make sure the rifle fits her and she wears hearing protection, both contribute to 'felt' recoil.

Now for the good stuff. There is a website called accuratereloading. Go there and search for cast bullet loads for the 7-08. Since it appears you reload you should be able to find a good low recoiling recipe to load practice ammo for her. When I was teaching my wife I found it best to have her shoot 20-40 rounds of cast ammo and 4-5 rounds of hunting ammo at the end.

Hope this helps.

I bought my son a Reminton model 7 as his first hunting rifle in 7mm 08. The little 7mm is a great round but tends to recoil sharply. I.E. A magnum type recoil. I think that the light weight of the gun is responible for most the felt recoil.
    Our solution, Decelerator recoil pad. No complaints and we are using near maximum loads of 41g RL15 behind a 140 grain Nosler Accubond. with a federal 210 primer.
    The idea of the recoil pad came after he shot my 300wm and said the perceived recoil was less???????? go figure. My BIL shot the same rifle with my hand worked hunting load and crowned his eyebrow with the scope and took first blood on himself.
    We didn't have the option of working down a load as last year was my sons first year to take a swamp donkey with the little model 7. I guess I could of downloaded but with visions of tracking a wounded bull moose into the dark just didnt sound like a lot of fun.

Default Thanks

for the responses. John

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Here's a Link to info and even a Reduced Recoil Load for the 7mm-08, among others.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_recoil_reloads.htm

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Some powders pose a danger when loaded down. Much like the SEE described above. Rather than burn the powder controlled from the back of the case forward. The entire powder charge lights up at once if there is too much airspace in the case. Same reason you always seat the bullet all the way on the powder in a muzzleloader. No airspace.

Some powders can be shot with the case half filled with powder. Just have to use the right powder.

Powder for full power loads has no advantage for reduced recoil loads. Lets say certain case hold 60 grains of X powder. Loading that case with 50 grains of X powder will not lessen the recoil a whole lot. I have found it to be pointless to try to reduce recoil loads by just dropping the charges.

I have found the best way is to switch powders to ones that are appropriate for reduced loads. The powder listed in the chuckhawks link above is great. I use IMR SR 4759 for my reduced loads. It is very fun to shoot. My sons shot my 300 win mag when they were 4 and 5 years old. They could in no way hold the rifle so I held it leaning over and they could look through the scope and pull the trigger. It is a riot to see there faces light up from shooting dads rifle. The 300 win mag load shot a 155 grain bullet at 1700 FPS.

4759 can have a delayed reation when fired in a 300 win mag case so I would cure that by pointing the rifle up and carefully lowering the sights to the target. This may not be an issue with a smaller case. It does not require any kind of filler. The powder also used to come in 1/2 pound cans so my last can only cost $9.99. I think it still comes in 1/2 pound cans.

My oldest son is 8 now and he just shot my 500S&W handi rifle the other day with a load that shoots a 440 grain bullet at 900 FPS. It is a reduced load powder. That load has a little thump to it and he shot it five times. Three shots unassisted when he asked me to let go of the rifles fore end. A full power load with that bullet and a different powder of course goes 1890 FPS and flat out stings when shooting them. Quite close to the most vicious recoil I have felt only being topped by the 375 ultramag. I would not shoot that rifle much if it were not for the ability to use reduced loads.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".