Thread: Any Good spots on the Lower Yukon?

Default Any Good spots on the Lower Yukon?

For trout fishing? Anyone know of any? I know there's a lot of grayling in the trib's of the lower yukon, but I've never heard of anyone catching rainbow's...anyone familiar with this area please chime in...

I am getting interested in flyfishing & wonder if investing in some fly equipment would be worthwhile living on the lower yukon...

Thanks in advanced!

Chances are the reason why you haven't heard of any good places for trout fishing on the lower Yukon is because there probably aren't any trout in the Yukon to begin with. The Kuskokwim is the farthest north river in the rainbow's native range. There should be Dolly Varden in the lower Yukon though, and those can be taken on a fly rod.

Hope this helps.

Default Lower Yukon...Andreafski

There is decent Pike, Grayling, and dolly fishing on the Andeafski Rivers.... There can alslo be very decent numbers of pink, chum, chinook, and coho... Not to mention abundant whitefish.

The nearest Rainbow stocks are on the Lower Kuskokwim R... Kwethluk, Kisigluk, Kisarolik, Anaik all have heathy populations of rainbows....

The mainstem Kusko may have some migration fo rainbows, In a fish wheel in 2005 ADFG caught a very nice 28" rainbow in June.

For the most part these tribs have nice rainbows 18-24" w/ occational larger fish, most are also the famed Alaskan "leapord" bows.

I am not aware of any tributary on the Lower Yukon that has Rainbows and as far as I know the Gulkana has the furthest North Population of Rainbows and Steelhead in the World.

no bows in the yukon drainage except the stocked lakes near fairbanks and the stocked lakes in yukon territory. I'd suspect there are some monster pike, look for marshes off deep channels and cast flies that look like baby birds.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I used to live quite aways up river from you and fish the local tribs for dollies and grayling. They'll slam egg patterns like glo bugs, egg sucking leeches and babines, especially if they're following salmon runs, but they hit them pretty much any time.

The pike in the lakes and side sloughs will hit pretty much anything fuzzy that hits the top of the water. Mice and divers work well on them.
    Now what ?

Default What do shee's hit?

I just bought a cabelas sweetwater combo off ebay, for cheap, it's a smaller, two peice, lightweight diameter rod, looks like it would be perfect for grayling, but not so much for Char or Shees, as it's a smaller rod...8 1/2' Rod for 6-7 wt line...the reel is a 567 Cabelas...

What do shees hit?
    Couldn't tell ya. All I've seen and caught were in nets.

Hey.........Cool sigline BTW. It speaks a lot of truth.
    Now what ?

Default Stevelyn...

yeah, I had to think of something for someone else's sigline I saw, but that dudes banned...oh well, it's still appropos...

You fly fish?

Yes I do. A couple of buds taught me how to flycast in about 5 minutes back in the day when I was under Uncle's care and feeding at Ft. Wainwright. I've been hooked ever since. Still need to learn fly tying though.
    Now what ?

Sheefish eat other fish, so use streamers.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.