Thread: Handhed VHF

Smile Handhed VHF

WE are looking to purchase a hand held as a backup radio. Or for in the dinghy when we go ashore. AS we have never owned one we are looking for any input on what to look for,options , preferences in brands etc. . Any advice is appriciated.

I bought the floating one at west marine. I have used it a few times and like it. I like the fact it floats, if you drop it in the water you can get it back!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Uniden Alantis 250

A friend bought me a Uniden Alantis 250 when my other radio failed me. It is excellent! I has a 12 volt connection, recharger, Nickle Hybred and standard battery pack. The battery life of the nickle has been fantastic.

It is my backup, goat hunting and contact the bear stand radio for three years. Excellent radio.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default west marine advisor

Check this out:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...heldRadios.htm

I like the west marine packages... both AC and DC chargers, rechargeable battery pack as well as an AA or AAA battery carrier... Nice to have options.

Default Hand Held Radio

I really like the Icoms. They make a floating one called the M34 I think.(that came out about two weeks after I bought the M32).
    I have the M32 with the lithuim ion battery and it has been great.
    The M72 has the most output power of any hand held that I'm aware of at 6 watts.
    My vote is for Icom
    Chuck

Default thankks guys

That floating options sounds pretty good! Bein' a butter fingers at times it could save me a buck or two! The different battery options is good to so it is more versitale. What is a standard wattage? If 6 is the highest what would bee your lowest and still be viable? Just for reference. Hey thanks for the info!

I've posted this before, so bear with me if you've heard it...

We've had both Standard-Horizon and Icoms in the past. The Standards would beep every time you pressed a button. After awhile, that got real annoying. The Icom we bought had a menu setting that disabled the beeping noise if that's what you want.

Just a thought.

Post ICOM, I'm not dropping my next one

I have had an ICOM M-32 for about 4 years. It is mainly for hanging on the center console wind screen of the Bayrunner for onshore use. It got sprayed on a continual basis. It also got rinsed off on a continual basis. A great radio.

Last year it went into scan mode and never came out of it. Scott at the Glacier Craft shop had it for a long time, I finally got him to send it in. It came back as unrepairable, corrosion inside the radio.

Just a thought, they might float, but they are not waterproof. Even thought it says it right on the front of mine.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default On wattage...

It is my understanding that antenna height and user position are far more important than wattage when transmitting over VHF. Maybe there's one that has a jack for an external antenna...that way you could boost the range just by stuffing a piece of wire into the jack and...well, it was a good thought...

Icom=Cadillac

Remember, You only get approx. one mile for each watt and thats over the water with no obstructions.

Default Clean ICOM

I might have to retract my statement. I took my radio apart and it is clean as a whistle inside, looks brand new. Now I wonder if he really sent it to the factory.
    I think that I will.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default 6 watts 6 miles

Wow I thought that they would carry farther than that. So if your out in Long Bay your pretty much only going to raise someone else in the bay. We mainly plan on using is as a go to shore radio or like I said a back up to the on board one. But I am glad I know that it won't reach say Whittier from outside the channel there. Thanks this will give us some info to help make a choice

I have the Uniden Alantis 250 works great. I have used it several times when I'm on shore ready to be picked up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default AK Gray

I am pretty sure that is the one I looked at in West Marine. It has several battery options and is submesible to 3ft. But as others have mentioned waterproof is sort of a stretch. I am going to see what I can find here in the Valley, wanna save teh gas for the boat!!!

Default Two Radios

I have both Marine HH and FM Transceiver HH. The marine is Uniden which I have used for about 7 years with nary a problem. Hi Pwr/Low Pwr toggle that switches from .5 W to 5 W when needed. Realistic field range has been Fox Island to Seward Dock.
    The FM is an Icom (Love It!). This can be used to reach aircraft in event of dire emergency.
    NEVER assume that any HH is going to be waterproof (as they aren't - just a marketing gimmick). Always carry it in a little dry bag (they are made specifically for radio's; so you can depress the PTT button and be heard through the dry bag). Rechargeable is nice, but I prefer to only use AA batteries, and carry spares. I have been on 10 day paddling trips in Aialik bay with mine, and it worked flawlessly.
    As for a qualified Icom repair shop - go see the guys at Surveyor's Exchange...they are a very reputable Icom dealer/warranty repair shop. Honest and fair too in the pricing.

My .02 (peso's) worth....

Quote Originally Posted by bljames View Post
    Wow I thought that they would carry farther than that. So if your out in Long Bay your pretty much only going to raise someone else in the bay. We mainly plan on using is as a go to shore radio or like I said a back up to the on board one. But I am glad I know that it won't reach say Whittier from outside the channel there. Thanks this will give us some info to help make a choice
    A key to remember also is that radio signals are only Line-Of-Sight. So if you are tucked into a bay, even within 5 or 6 air miles, chances are you won't reach the target with the radio signal.

Default Not True

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    It is my understanding that antenna height and user position are far more important than wattage when transmitting over VHF. Maybe there's one that has a jack for an external antenna...that way you could boost the range just by stuffing a piece of wire into the jack and...well, it was a good thought...
    Regardless of antenna height, the radio and antenna still have to be 'tuned' to match. Not near as simple as just sticking a piece of wire into a radio and hitting the ptt button.
    On another note, I have, with my Icom HH FM Transciever, talked to people climbing on Mckinley while I was in Anchorage. Mind you, conditions were perfect....cloudless sky, not much interference, etc. etc.. Just shows what is possible and what isn't.

Default Icom

go with the Icom....have had one for 12 years and it works great, get the AA battery pack to go with it too....

Default went with Icom 34

Decide that floating option was a great idea got a decent price and will get the battery pack too then we really are only limited to the number of batteries we stuff in the bag! Thanks for the input it really helped us make the dicision