Thread: We've done pinks, chums, and silvers- NOW KINGS :D

Exclamation We've done pinks, chums, and silvers- NOW KINGS :D

Well then- here it goes, open discussion for all tactics, stories, dates, pictures, videos- Anything and everything about kings!

Really looking forward to feedback ( Espeically from some Ship Creek Pros ^.- )

A conservationist at heart, allow me to recycle this old thread from a couple years back:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=2020
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Nice link but it is older than the hills. I am all for a fresh start.

Ship creek wait for high tide and use a vibrax, spin and glow or eggs with a bobber if legal. I always like it best when the water is just starting to go back out. I usually fished under the A street bridge.

In my opinion everyone fishing at low tide is snagging until they get one in the mouth so it doesnt really matter what is on the end of the line then.

---

I usually fish spin and glows, wiggle worts and kwikfish. From shore I use the spin-n-glows. From the boat I use every thing else with or without a jet diver. I try to back troll as much as possible because where I fish it is the best technique.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Kings can be tricky...

Kodiak Custom are my favorite way to fish small stream Kings...... Second would be drift fishing eggs via the assistance of West coast float... This is highly effective method to cover alot of water and find finicke kings.

Fishing the tide and beating the crowds are other advanatages that can make the difference between taking fish home and watching other catch fish.

Im was curious about how to beat the crowd in Ships Creek. From what I read, its ALWAYS a zoo there. I guess you can move around a lot and find a nice hole after 9 or 10 pm right?

Ill have to use my night vision goggles.... aka Alaskas sun that never sets.

Default WOW!

I know it sucks that the silver derby aint happening but check this out!!!

King derby prizes keep getting better and better

THIS YEARS FIRST PRIZE WILL BE A 15' KLAMATH WITH 25 HP 4 STROKE SUZUKI AND A TRAILER-

Not bad for a day on the creek

http://www.shipcreeksalmonderby.com/

Red face Kings?

Why fish for kings?
    All the talk about the chum and humpie fishin, what's the point in fishin for anything that tastes soo good, gets soo big, fights soo hard.

Oh, man, are they here yet!?!?!?!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ill have to use my night vision goggles.... aka Alaskas sun that never sets.
    I used to fish Ship Creek from 2-5:00am, but it has since gone to nightime closures. Ship is only open from 6:00am-11:00pm.

Purple egg-sucking leeches on a 6/0 hook.

I've caught one king on hardware by accident.
    Now what ?

flies are much more effective than gear, if you can get the flies to the right spot.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey
    flies are much more effective than gear, if you can get the flies to the right spot.
    Ridiculous. And spoken like someone who has interacted with very few king salmon.

Sure, flies work, but bait or metal works MUCH BETTER than the fly, and is much easier...I choose to flyfish for them, because it is boring to gear fish for them after the first thousand or so.

Mark
    Last edited by G_Smolt; 04-21-2008 at 19:35. Reason: add pic

Yup I've dealt with very few king salmon only a few hundred... So very few. I mean more than 99.9% of the people on earth is still very few.

Bait definately works better than flies (which is why most of south central is baitless)

As I said put a fly in the right spot and the fly will outfish the metal every time, putting the fly in the right spot is very hard. Especially when you fish the ocean.

Heres another tip for you gear fishermen: jigs are basically flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.