Thread: News article on Colt M4 / M16

Default News article on Colt M4 / M16

Check out the interesting article in the Houston Chronicle on the Army's purchase and use of the M4 carbine: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5715551.html

At $1400 a piece it looks like the army pays a lot more than I would for the same Colt made gun in semi-auto at a gun show. I'm sure the selective fire parts aren't that expensive!

I guess the paperwork is to blame for part of the extra cost. The real question is if the M4 is built to different specs than the civilian versions - harder metals, different coatings, etc.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Nope, only real diff is the selective fire controls, and those are relatively minor. Remember though, for those tempted to experiment, simply having the parts necessary is considered "manufacturing" by the feds.

And when has the feral gub'mint done anything less expensively than free market?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default I would not put to much faith in that article

Unless M4's went up through the roof in tha last 6 months, This is not true. Cant say much more but that this is not the replacment cost for an M-4. Dont believe evrything you read.....

Default M4-gery

Wholden, I have to agree with you on your asessment on the pricing of an M4. A couple years back, a bunch of us guys on night shift got into our supply system fed log pricing thing and looked up M-16's, switchblade knives, and all sorts of goodies to see what the price was. We even looked up the H&K MP5 sub guns, yeah, they are in our supply system! anyway, the cost at that time for an M-16 A2 was a little over $400 in there. i can't remember all the other prices we looked up, but I remembered the M-16 one because I own a Bushmaster.
    As for the rifles being different, heat treating and whatnot, they are NO different there Tvfinak. Also, when we buy automatic weapons, (military unit), we don't have any paperwork to do as far as class III crap. It doesn't exist for us. We just do a great big purchase order, and specify brand name if that's allowed in the contract or if the finance unit allows it, and wait on them to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    Unless M4's went up through the roof in tha last 6 months, This is not true. Cant say much more but that this is not the replacment cost for an M-4. Dont believe evrything you read.....

The actual Colt rifles are about $800 each, the rest of the cost alleged (if that high) is auxliaries to the contract, spare parts, armorers tools etc.

The Colt semi autos are almost identical to their Army cousins, its my understanding that the LE M4s (semi auto) are built on the same lines to the same standards as the military ones (which are stringent).

I'm going to buy one when our next shipment comes in, just in case.