Thread: Of bait and Brine...

Default Of bait and Brine...

What can you tell me about bait and brine. I have heard that the best bait is fresh herring but if you can't get it, you should brine the frozen bait before use. Where are the best places to get bait here in South Central and if you brine your's, can you give up the recipe to the rest of us?

Sportsman warehouse carries brine for your herring. They have some with color added to it. Haven't tried it so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

Fresh herring is the best. If you can get fresh then frozen will do. I have bought some bad herring before(one time). I just added so herring oil to it and it worked good. Left over herring I will add some rock salt to it. This help the herring stay use able for next trip..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default What are you fishing for?

This herring bait would be used to catch what species?

Halibut, silvers and kings. Also you can catch rockfish to.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Where do you guys buy your herring bait? I heard that 10th and M has some and that the Kachamak gear shack out on the spit in Homer has the best bait. What are your thoughts?

Default What kind?

What kind of fishing are you doing, then we'll be able to tell you where to get:
    a/ troll herring
    b/ bulk herring for halibut

Where ever I can get it. Trolling or bulk herring I will pick up at either Homer
    or Whitter. In town I get it at Sportsman or B&J.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Okay

AK FlyGuy- You can pick up troll herring in Anchorage at C&J Tender Meat, 324 E. International (near Central Plumbing). They have great looking troll herring for kings and silvers at the best price.

Bulk herring you can get at B&J's in Anchorage (I believe it's $7.50 for 5 pounds.) The best deal is the 22 lb box for $18 at the Gear Shed in Homer.

Here's a link to Salmon University's recipe for brining troll herring. I brine all my troll herring to give them firmness, brightness, and a little zip to the scent...

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html
    Last edited by Cliffhanger; 04-20-2008 at 21:04. Reason: spelling

We use regular table salt here on our smelt. Even frozen, the smelt remain pliable and aren't hard as a rock. The fish like the scent too.

They also have 50# for $33 at the gear shed
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    What can you tell me about bait and brine. I have heard that the best bait is fresh herring but if you can't get it, you should brine the frozen bait before use. Where are the best places to get bait here in South Central and if you brine your's, can you give up the recipe to the rest of us?
    Fly guy... I just scoop up some sea water in a small bucket, dump in my herring, and add rock salt until I say to myself, "that looks like enough."

I had never even heard of commercial herring brine.

I have had people tell me they don't like to salt theirs. But, in a day of fishing, I'll have as many or more salmon boated and they'll be borrowing from my bucket.... not because mine are superior, but because theirs are all gone.... worn out.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Fly guy... I just scoop up some sea water in a small bucket, dump in my herring, and add rock salt until I say to myself, "that looks like enough."
    That's pretty much what I do. I cut them up into halves or thirds and then brine them until they toughen up. I also have access to herring oil from the local processor here.

Herring are pretty fragile and without brining you'll find yourself getting bait-jacked by sculpins, cod, sand fleas, crab and even halibut.

I have a few pounds a bud caught for me last year.
    Now what ?

Sorry I didn't add what I would be fishing for but as most of you surmized, I will be both trolling for kings as well as dropping down for some halibut. I am heading down to Homer this weekend with the wife to stay at the Land's End. Maybe I'll stop the gear shack on the way home and pick up a box there. Thanks for the input...