Thread: Firewood

Default Firewood

Everyone,

I really enjoy the forum and have been camped out here reading for several months.

I have an easy question for ya'll. I'm intending to buy land and build a cabin as a primary residence (living there year round). Primary heat would be from a woodstove. Tentatively, I'm looking at the Talkeetna area.

The question is...how many acres of forested land would I need so that the timber would grow back as fast as I cut it? In other words, in 10-15 years, I wouldn't want to be down to a bare lot.

Another question would be...are people allowed to cut firewood from government land?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Even in Talkeetna it varies greatly from the type of forestation from parcel to parcel. Firewood sized birch trees in this area can typically take a minimum of 40 years to regenerate. At present there is a huge amount of wood available from land clearing for homes and subdivision roads. In the past I have been offered enough wood for free that would have heated my house for 10 years if I wanted to. You just have to keep your ears open and show up to get it. Even if you have to buy wood the cost is minimal..often only $20 to $40 a cord for a log truck or end dump truck load of full length trees dropped in your yard...currently the price for cut to length wood is around $125 per cord..a bit more for split.

There are permits available to cut firewood from borough and state land depending on your location.

[QUOTE=AKDoug;253500]Even if you have to buy wood the cost is minimal..often only $20 to $40 a cord for a log truck or end dump truck load of full length trees dropped in your yard.../QUOTE]

Are those current prices? I am paying $50 for down trees that I have to cut and haul myself. I would gladly pay $40 for whole logs delivered.

I think the going price for cut and split firewood is about $200 per cord.

The best way is to do like Doug says, get a whole logging truck load dumped. I don't know the price, but it is much less than $200 per cord.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Are those current prices? I am paying $50 for down trees that I have to cut and haul myself. I would gladly pay $40 for whole logs delivered.
    This was within 10 miles of the source of the logs.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

What I'm trying to figure out is how many acres I'll need to be self sufficient in heat.

If I can cut wood off adjacent government land, that would help a lot.

Working on it...

Both my Father and Grandfather had/have no problem getting a sufficient firewood supply off of their respective 20 acre parcels in the Palmer area. Forest is mixed mature birch and spruce and we basically just culled beetle killed, downed, or damaged trees for several decades. Obviously, it depends on the density, age and type of trees, but I would guess 15-25 acres would provide plenty of trees to heat your average house. I would say that birch forests are best, both because you need about 20% less wood than spruce and because they regenerate from the stump and root system quite quickly.

You may already know this, but that much acreage is pretty hard to find in this state. What there is, is typically very tough to access, very remote or swampland. Most of us have no problem gathering wood from other sources though. Good luck in your hunt.

Yk

Thanks, Yellowknife,

That's good info.

I also believe you about the available acreages. Seems like I haven't seen just a whole lot of large acreage lots for sale that aren't remote.