Thread: First ATV--btw Polaris X2 / Honda

Default First ATV--btw Polaris X2 / Honda

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new atv. My fiancee and I are going to buy one for use to ride together this year and get another one in the fall or a Rhino. So we will ride alot two-up this summer and early fall. We are on the fence between the Honda Foreman and the Sportsman 500, and are seriously considering the 500 X2. Any input?

Do not know our riding style as it will be our first ATV. We have access to a Rhino now, and do some trail riding. Will use it mostly on the beach, trails and hunting in the fall. I do want to be able to carry a second person. Is the X2 the only way, or do folks do ok with the aftermarket passenger seats? Is the 500's big enough to tote two folks around?

Thanks for any assistance.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

A friend of mine has the Sportsman 500X2, its much more comfortable for the passenger, and the longer wheel base helps smooth out the ride. If you're going to do a lot of riding double, get a 2 up machine. Arctic Cats 2 place bike comes in a 500, 650 or 700 EFI, if power is a concern.

Default Power vs. fuel eco.

Would rather get a 500 if they are that much better on gas--not as much worried about cost as I am range of trips. So long as the 500's have enough power for normal 2-up riding, think thats the route I would prefer.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

This is where BigH puts in his two cents. I watched him ride double in Eureka on one of those Po 500 X2's and he did just fine. Or you could ride comfortably behind a windsheild in a Rhino, it just so happens I have one for sale with all the fixings. I'll give you the ODD special.

Everyone has a particular brand loyalty. I went with the Can Am Outlander 800 Max. LOTS of power, better ground clearance, very comfortable for two, incredible suspension and pretty good mileage I thought. Last Thursday we went to Jim's Creek and put nearly 60 miles on it and used 3.6 gallons. You can look at the 400, 500, 650, and 800 in two ups, all perform way over what their cc's would suggest. Even if I didn't have a wife or child I would do the 2 up max just for the comfort and ride. Good luck.

Smile deffinatly 2up

Wildwill

Hey I cant say the differance between one or the other because i believe they are all good unless the suport isnt there but i have an articcat trv 650 good machine but my one oppinion for sure is it being the 2up front and back machine has the little extra length and it adds a lot of stability
    that is great and the room on the 2up my wife loves her space foot pads and comfortable seat

good luck
    Larry

I purchased an X2 a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with it. With the 500efi engine it gets great mileage and one added benefit of the longer wheelbase is that it seems to be more stable climbing that the shorter wheelbase machines my friends have....

My 2 Cents....

Default 2up it is--I believe

Thanks for the input folks. I need to get by the artic cat dealer and give-em a looksie. I have heard great things about the Can-am's too, but we do not have a dealer on the KPenn that I know of.

Thanks,

Will

Between a Honda and a Polaris, this is a no brainer.........go with the Foreman.

Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan
    Wildwill

Hey I cant say the differance between one or the other because i believe they are all good unless the suport isnt there but i have an articcat trv 650 good machine but my one oppinion for sure is it being the 2up front and back machine has the little extra length and it adds a lot of stability
    that is great and the room on the 2up my wife loves her space foot pads and comfortable seat

good luck
    Larry
    larry is on the right track.his machine is bigger and would be more stable but going hunting might be an issue depending on where your going and how tight of trails your going through.seems like you want an all-around machine for riding 2 people and riding one person and going hunting.that really is a hard call because all the machines could serve your purpose.I Just bought a honda foreman Rubicon, two weeks ago.I like the machine and you'll have to spend $300 dollars for a only semi comfortable seat to add to your rack the add on seat though looks very similiar to the second seat that comes standard with the x2 ,but you still have a shorter wheel base and less stability.price is similiar to other machines too.but a foreman has solid rear axle and would be more rough of a ride.500's have plenty of power especially if your doing beach riding and some trail riding so a 500 class 2 seater prolly isnt a bad option.but if money is no option then you have alot of options.
    here are some msrps and specs on the 08 models. hope you find the that works the best for you and your wife.

sportsman 800 efi touring $9,100
    dry weight 795 lbs
    overall width 48 in
    overall length 86 in
    height 48 in
    wheelbase 57 in

sportsman 500 efi touring $7,700
    dry weight 770 lbs
    overall width 48 in
    overall length 86 in
    height 48 in
    wheelbase 57 in

sportsman 700 efi x2 $8,199
    dry weight 860 lbs
    overall width 48 in
    overall length 93 in
    height 48 in
    wheelbase 57 in

Sportsman 500 efi x2 $7,999
    dry weight 798 lbs
    overall width 48 in
    overall length 93 in
    overall height 48 in

arctic cat 500 auto trv 2seater $7,350
    dry weight 701 lbs
    overall width 47.5 in
    overall length 93 in
    wheelbase 58 in
    height 49.3 in

arctic cat 650 auto trv 2seater 8,200
    dry weight 724 lbs
    overall width 47.5
    overall length 93 in
    height 49.3
    wheelbase 58 in

Honda foreman rubicon 500 $7,500 + $300 for 2nd seat
    dry weight 633 lbs
    overall width 46.8 in
    overall length 83 in
    height 46.4 in
    wheelbase 50.6 in

You couldn't pay me enough to ride in one of those add in seats.

I have the AC 500 TRV x2 and love it. Great ride, plenty of power, good gas mileage and plenty of room! I have gone all over the place with it up here. Only thing I need to add to it is some mud lites!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Went Polaris

We picked up a 500 Polaris X2. Very happy so far--just need to get it out riding now. Picked it up today, rallied it beside, more in front of, a Rhino we have in the family for about 19 miles. Tried out a bit of beach, trails, and mud. Very happy.

Will