Thread: too late to crate train pup?

Default too late to crate train pup?

Hi we have rescued a pup from the pound and we are going to be doing obediance training. we would like to put the pup in a crate over night. i was wondering if the pup is to old to crate train? he is 6-7 months old now thanks for the help
    Bill

No, it's not too late.
    Start by tossing treats inside the kennel with the door open. Get your dog use to going in and out of it by doing this. Put there food bowl in there during feeding time as well. Also if you put the kennel in a place in your home where you spend most of your time. Set it there with the door open and some bedding in the kennel. Your pup may start using it as his/her little area. Conditioning your pup to a kennel as a good thing is most important.

Default just make it safe and good

The above advice is sound and good. Even a two year old will seek out a place that is safe with good visability to the surroundings.

Thats essentially what you are doing with the crate. Just make it safe and provide good visability. Utilize treats, praise, and never punish in the crate.

Default thank you both

Thank you both for the advice. he still wimpers when we put him in there but after a little bit of praise he has quieted down. but still we need to work with him. but he is comeing around.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Crate Training -what if they won't kennel for food.

I'm a big e-collar fan especially since they added the "pager" mode on the Dogtra Collars.
    The pager gives just the right amount of annoyance in non-distraction surroundings that we can correct actions instantly without the freakout that a "shock" can cause.
    Daisy, a rescued dog (Great Dane/Greyhound) is not a gun dog but needs to run and also needs to be kept under control since she can cover a lot of ground in a short time.She also has a fierce chase drive as you can guess. Her recall is very good at this point. Rabbit hunting in the fall maybe?
    I'm taking her to an obedience class to work on her commands with other dogs around, socialize, and get her used to different activities. She gets very nervous in new situations but is improving. After her first obedience class she refused to get in her crate. Food did not work, physical force didn't work. We had worked a bit on "Kennel" crate training with the collar on page or very low stimulation in the house but not enough to carry through if she was upset or distracted. With her size and my limited strength I could not get her in the crate, noone could help, so she won that round and rode loose in the car.
    For the next week Daisy rode in crate in the car "Kenneling" in the a few times a day.
    The after the next class, she was worked up again blowing clouds of hair, but kenneled on the first command. By the third class she was getting along with the other dogs, no bad encounters, we had fun activities and kenneled perfectly. She has kenneled everytime since.
    Its conditioning and repeating the same actions and commands each time. I'm still chucking a piece of a treat in the back of the crate as well.

Linda Henning
    www.alaskadognews.com