Thread: Shrimping in Juneau?

Default Shrimping in Juneau?

So today was officially the first day I got to go shrimping/king salmon fishing. No kings to report, but I did pull up (drumroll)....two big shrimp. Nothing special but I'm stoked. I was curious if anyone had any insight on some good places to try my hand again with the shrimp pots. I am trying my luck on the back side of Cohen Island right now. I just got stationed in Juneau so I'm still clueless on the where the decent spots are. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    So today was officially the first day I got to go shrimping/king salmon fishing. No kings to report, but I did pull up (drumroll)....two big shrimp. Nothing special but I'm stoked. I was curious if anyone had any insight on some good places to try my hand again with the shrimp pots. I am trying my luck on the back side of Cohen Island right now. I just got stationed in Juneau so I'm still clueless on the where the decent spots are. Thanks for any help.
    Barlow Cove... Start about half way in the cove, and work from there up to the head by the river... good dungies there too if you're early in the season.

Barlow sucks in a North blow, however, so be careful with the weather we've been having.

Have fun!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was hoping to find something a little closer to this side of Shelter Island. I have a pretty small boat and that seems like a big strech of water unless I am confident the weather is going to hold up. Any thoughts about Amalga Harbor/Benjamin Island area? Barlow Cove looks pretty protected. Does it matter for the shrimp if it's in a harbor like that or are they just as likely to be out it the open ocean?

Anyone had any luck up in Berners Bay?

I don't have a chart with me but I'd bet if you could find a deep enough spot around almaga you could get some shrimp, I do know that there is good crabbing out there
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I tried a few spots from Cohen Island to N of Amalga Harbor without a whole lot of success. I am going to try for some Dungies farther up N and I am going to try dropping the shrimp pots near by. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chauv .. I think you're heading the wrong direction.

It has been years and years and even more years since I had a trap in the water, but, back then south and SW were better areas.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Sounds like a plan. I am still a little hesitant about heading out of the channel until we get a little closer to summer. I was out in the CG Motor Lifeboat recently in Stephens Passage. The weather came up off the Taku Glacier in a heartbeat. I don't want to get stuck out there in my tiny boat getting the pooped kicked out of me. Any idea if there is any decent shrimp in Gastineau Channel? I heard there was descent crabbing near the old mill by Sandy Beach.

Sounds like a plan. I am still a little hesitant about heading out of the channel until we get a little closer to summer. I was out in the CG Motor Lifeboat recently in Stephens Passage. The weather came up off the Taku Glacier in a heartbeat. I don't want to get stuck out there in my tiny boat getting the pooped kicked out of me. Any idea if there is any decent shrimp in Gastineau Channel? I heard there was descent crabbing near the old mill by Sandy Beach.

I'm also trying to find some good shrimping spots nearby. You'll see all of the crab bouys past Sandy Beach. Be carefull about putting them on the back side of Douglas--last summer I had two crab pots stolen from there.

I would go with Can-Can's idea. Barlow can be good for dungies, also shrimping can be awesome. As a youngster we would make a bottom trawl out of rake heads and herring net and trawl the head of the cove along the sandy beach, got lots of scallops there.

Chauv.... hang with us.

Boat size is irrelevent. Weather is always a factor.

A hundred years ago people were rowing past those places you fear most. 200 years ago the were paddling.

Pick your moment and tides.

Neither the Channel or the Taku are impassible.

You pick your moment and move.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Chauv.... hang with us.

Boat size is irrelevent. Weather is always a factor.

A hundred years ago people were rowing past those places you fear most. 200 years ago the were paddling.

Pick your moment and tides.

Neither the Channel or the Taku are impassible.

You pick your moment and move.
    True, but I work Search and Rescue. I have already seen too many people get into serious trouble on routine, nice trips. As an inexperienced boater, I have enough sense to wait till someone that knows better can show me the ropes. I'd rather be parinoid and miss out on some good shrimp rather than have to call my buddies to come fish me out of the water before I freeze. Just my two cents.