Thread: putting music to photos

Default putting music to photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCUQd...eature=related

I would like to do this kind of stuff..
    what is a good program to buy or use.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Are you on a Mac or PC?
    iPhoto can do it if you're on a Mac. I know there are some Windoze apps that can do it too, just not familiar with them. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I use a Mac, too. However, I would think that he can do the same by creating a slide show (or short movie) in his PC, and adding music to it before burning a DVD on a DVD burner. I wish I could tell him, but I don't know much about programs for the PC.

I just select music from my iTune's music library when I create a slide show. I send the slide show to iDVD in my Mac, and do the work there, including burning the DVD. It does take a long time with a long DVD, even with an external 20x LaCie drive I have.

Default Windows Movie Maker

I also use a Mac but I've read that WMM can create slideshows with music.

Default magix

My wife and I did good slideshows using Magix Photostory on cd and dvd for Windows and Iphoto for mac.
    I can tell you that Magix does not do that well with older computers (rendering takes forever) but with our newer machines it worked well; there is also a little of a learning curve but we liked the drag and drop timelines and the soundtracking/titles/voice over/movement/transitions after we got used to using them properly. After we learned the software a 45 minute fully produced video takes about 20 or so hours of work (if you have your photos and music/voiceover sound bites well organized.

Iphoto is easier to learn/use but I wouldn't run out and get a Mac just to do a slideshow.
    We have produced yearly slideshows while we lived in Europe (6 years) and plan on doing the same now we Are in alaska.

Cheers.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by madman1045 View Post
    My wife and I did good slideshows using Magix Photostory on cd and dvd for Windows and Iphoto for mac.
    I can tell you that Magix does not do that well with older computers (rendering takes forever) but with our newer machines it worked well; there is also a little of a learning curve but we liked the drag and drop timelines and the soundtracking/titles/voice over/movement/transitions after we got used to using them properly. After we learned the software a 45 minute fully produced video takes about 20 or so hours of work (if you have your photos and music/voiceover sound bites well organized.

Iphoto is easier to learn/use but I wouldn't run out and get a Mac just to do a slideshow.
    We have produced yearly slideshows while we lived in Europe (6 years) and plan on doing the same now we Are in alaska.

Cheers.
    Phil
    Buying a new Mac for slide shows!! LOL

Now, on another note, you can run all your Windows programs on a new Mac, along Mac OSX. But again, that's still means buying a Mac to do the same thing

I could be wrong, but I believe that PSE 6 for both the PC and Mac allows you to create slide shows, but i don't know if you can add music or not.

Default powerpoint

How about Powerpoint. I didn't think about it until way after I posted, but doesn't it do a decent job?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Soundtrack Choices . . .

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I would be interested in various ideas for the music anyone has in mind.
    Done well, it can really pull your work together; alternatively, the 'wrong soundtrack' can easily detract from the visual display.
    Thanks!
    Doc

Default watch and listen

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    Not to hi-jack the thread, but I would be interested in various ideas for the music anyone has in mind.
    Done well, it can really pull your work together; alternatively, the 'wrong soundtrack' can easily detract from the visual display.
    Thanks!
    Doc
    The way we always produced was to finish the video portion and then watch it several times while listening to music that had the tempo and lyrics that we thought best matched the video. After that we import the music and adjust the start/stop points to match logical changes withing the video. I can't really give you any artist, it's a feel it out kind of thing.

Phil

Default Windows -vs- Mac

Windows:
    Windows Movie Maker - free from Microsoft. No bells, no whistles. You can import MP3's... AVI's, WMV's and JPG's etc. Lay them in the order you wish... hit the notes how you would like... and bam. You have a movie.
    You'll "Publish" the movie when you have made your slide show. You have many options - choose the one with the most appropriate file size.

Mac:
    iPhoto in conjunction with iMovie or either app on their own. Same idea as above... once you get it the way you like... "Share" the slide show.

I have used both. The Movie Maker is a no frills piece of software. It will do simple videos and slide shows.
    iPhoto and iMovie have many more features.

I mentioned these applications because:
    Windows Movie Maker is a free download from Microsoft - standard install on a new machine.
    iLife is a standard install on a Mac with OS X. iLife comes with iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, etc.

Good luck!

Default Music synced with Pix/Video

Find a song that represents the tempo of your photo's/videos and audience.
    Find the changes in the beat... create some markers. (notes on a piece of paper with the timeline annotated will work):

1:23.2 UP beat
    1:24.9 Drum solo start

Etc...

Laydown the photo's and transitions to occur at these points.
    This is why sometimes you'll see a video that has four pictures flash in the space of a second... all in time with the music.
    Adds an audio feel to a visual experience. Or vise-versa, depending upon your needs.

It can be VERY time consuming - hence the reason very few people do it.

Good luck! Have fun!