Thread: Launching

Default Launching

Ok what I learn may make or break our trip, but at low tide is it possible to launch your boat out of Whittier right? I heard it may not be possible so any info would be extremely grateful!!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default depends

it depends on how big the tide change is, some minus tides ive thought I wouldnt be able to launch. Also dpends on how big your boat is and which launch you use.

Default low tide

i have launched my boat at a minus tide out of whittier, of course my trailor was off the launch. pulling it in a minus tide would be a little bit of a hassle and you would probably run into trailor damage bringing the trailor/boat back up the launch from going off the end, but have not run into that. oh my boat is a 2006 sea runner soft top. i have seen people waiting in line to launch there boat at low tide with larger boats and having to wait until they had more water to launch. glad i got a smaller boat so i don't have to wait.

If we knew what your boat was it would be alot easier to make a call on it. Either way if its a -2 it may or may not happen depending on the boat and what the current condition of the launch is.

Like everyone is saying your boat size is going to determine if you can launch or not.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think its doable. We have a 22' Ocean Pro. I think we'll be ok.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have a 26 hewes. If I showed up a minute later I would of been stuck from recovering my boat. 22ft. you will be in the same boat as me that day. The ramps a nasty drop off.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Last summer we retrieved the boat(27 foot aurora with a tripple axle trailer) at a minus tide and had two of the three axles go off the end of the ramp. We did make it back up, it was just a little harder on the truck. THe trailer seemed fine, but I think we just got lucky.