Thread: Spring waterfowl hunting near Anch

Default Spring waterfowl hunting near Anch

Any spring season duck and goose hunting allowed by state or fed regs around the Anchorage area or outside of the city somewhere accessible by the road system? Thanks

Just downloaded the State regs for waterfowl and I guess the spring hunt is out of the question under the State system.
    So that leaves me with the 2nd part of my question; where is the closest area near Anchorage that a person can legally hunt waterfowl during the spring under the Federal Subsistence Management regs? Thanks

Unless you reside in a federal designated subsistence area you are not allowed to hunt the spring season.

From what I understand......only Alaska natives can participate in the Spring subsistence hunting for waterfowl. I believe they have to be on tribal grounds.
    In the past I have been invited to tag along with a few natives out of Tyonek. They just wanted me to go to handle my retrievers to pick up there birds. Dogs don't care if its fall or spring.

Default wetlands

anyone that resides in a federal subsistance area is eligible to participate in the hunt, you can contact the feds and get the subsistance regs for 2008, mine came in the mail a few weeks ago.

Has nothing to do with being native, all has to do with zip code.

I know as little as Wetlands, BUT...........Straight from the regs.
    Who is Eligible to Participate?
    If you are a permanent resident of a village within an included harvest area, you are eligible to harvest migratory birds and eggs for subsistence purposes.
    Included Areas/Villages
    Village areas located within the Alaska Peninsula, Kodiak Archipelago, the Aleutian Islands, or in areas north and west of the Alaska Range are subsistence harvest areas. The communities of: Gulkana, Gakona, Tazlina, Copper Center, Mentasta Lake, Chitina, Chistochina, Tatitlek, Chenega, Port Graham, Nanwalek, Tyonek and Hoonah were added in 2004. The communities of Craig, Hydaburg and Yakutat were added in 2005.

All villages listed have a native based population. Some non native and part natives have family ties from these villages. Therefore they also are eligible as long as they reside there.