Thread: custom made waders?

Default custom made waders?

Hi all,

Trying to get some good waders but I have weird body.

I weigh about 190lbs. more stout in shoulders, not so much in belly. Im 5 foot 10, but the thing is, I have really short legs.
    So I try a pair of medium, and they are wide enough, but the legs are too long. I try small, the legs fit, but its too tight! Im cursed with short asian man legs (mom is from the philippines, dad from cambodia).

I figure, Im gonna be fishing a lot for the next few years, well, for the rest of my life, so I might as well get some good waders that fit me. Ive NEVER found a pair that fit me properly so Im wondering if you know any place that make custom waders?

Thanks again

Question tough question

My wife is built well like a woman of course but she is ummmmmm rather large in the upper section. She has the same problem with waders. Smalls are great for her short legs but to tight up top. Mediums up top are fine but the legs are long. She has just learned to adapt with the mediums as we have not seen custom waders before. Im interested in what you find out here soda. She used to wear hip boots but after I finally talked her into breathables with great boots she will never go back to hippers. She used to tumble into the river all the time in those hip boots so finally i just took her to the store and bought the breathables and put her in a high quality boot. She was sure kicking herself in the butt for not listening to me earlier. One of the few times she has ever admitted that I was right. I tried to get her to put it in writing but you can only imagine the comment i got on that. Dont forget Soda first round is on me.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have a set of custom made simms G3's. I am girthy in the upper body (gut included ) with short legs Simms has regular, tall and stout G3's and for $40 they will put what ever size foot you like on them. I have 3XL Stout with size 9-11 booties that fit me very well. The 3XL Stouts come with 11-13 booties stock. The stouts have shorter legs and that may work for you. Another + is the added room up top for layering.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/simms/im...rt_Mens_08.jpg

Go to a Simms dealer and try on all the different combinations. A medium short, large short, or small king should be the ticket. If not, the custom shop at Simms does a lot of added variations. The thing to remember for legs, too, is a little long isn't a bad thing. A lot long may be bad, but remember you have to be able to lift your legs, which requires a little bagginess in them when you are standing upright. They have a price range from $150 to $699, so you should be able to find something within any budget.

call up simms
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Dan Bailey's

Dan Bailey'd also make different lengths and girths in standard sizes and the prices are good.

https://www.dan-bailey.com/

Default Caddis?

Hi was in a Joe's sporting goods store yesterday in Portland, Or and they had these waders for 159.00. Caddis Northern guide breathables or something like that.

Now, Ive felt (with my hands) a lot of waders of the last few weeks shopping around, tried on a lot too and these ones seem really sturdy. The material is weird, its almost soft, like fur...almost. Its a breathable material, but really thick, and has nice solid patches on the knees and butt.

Just wondering, can you tell a good wader without wearing it 5-10 times to the river?

Just wondering if anyones ever tried them. I can hardly find anything about them online. that means no reviews.

Lightbulb Cabelas?

I think some of the Cabelas waders come in a small stout size. I just bought a pair that size and I like them. They are a little loose but when it gets cold I can tuck more clothes under them so I don't mind. Anyway, might be worth a look and cheaper than customs.

Greg

Default Simms will custome build...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    call up simms
    Call them up in Bozeman, MT and they will custom build the waders form you dimentions.

Default cloudveils

These waders have a loser fit compared to simms and they come in "king" sizes. It's worth a look but the pricetag is impressive.

Default Waders

I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and I have had problems with too long of a leg with waders. Look at the new G3 by Simms, I think they offer it in a Large King stout. I currently have a Large King G3 but the inseam is for 33". The stout is for 30"-31" I think. I will be looking at them also when I need a new pair. Let us know if they do, I know I would be interested.

If you want a pair of waders that last, go with simms. I have two pair, the classic guide and the G-3's. The classics are eight years old and I keep them for a back-up and for gold panning. The classics have three years of fishing/atv ridding and three years of gold panning. I would be on the knees for hours while panning and the waders still do not leak. I fish about 100 days a year and these are the only waders I would even consider buying.

SEems like the most popular waders by online fishermen are Simms. I read a few negative reviews here and there, but thats normal.

Now, Ive got to try calling that place in montana that makes the custom fit. I found a place here that has the G3's but only in large. Im not large.

Hey Tynmon, I know you mentioned calling them up in MT to get a custom fit according to my size, but what happens if they dont fit right when I get them?

Im always worried about online clothing because you can never tell if it will fit. Lures, lines, rods etc I dont mind, but clothing is a different thing.

My search continues. Im in tri-cities in Wa next week so maybe Ill find a good shop out there.

Default Custom fit Simms...

When you place the order make sure you numbers are real.... And make sure you understand how to make the custom fit make u happy.... So just because they build it to you specs, doesn't mean the fit will please you unless you understand the fit you need...

Really these ppl are great and deal with this stuff all the time.. Make the call and see if I am right, I am usre they will ask you questions that you would have not thought of pertaining to fit and measurements.

Simms all the way!! I live in Bozeman and know the people who run the shop very well, great place and the people actually care. No, for real. The G3's are a bit rich for my blood and I like boot foots so I got an old pair of their rental waders that had boots on them and, no frills at all but they work.

The new boot feet are awesome, fit well and are a bit warmer. Send more money to Bozeman, we need it!

Default Wading through your problem...

I was faced with same problem as you. I solved it by going to a major outlet (Bass Pro) and ran thier lines until I found something I was comfortable wearing.

I did not want to risk catalogue for fit, so I drove the 100 miles from Sarasota to
    Ft. Meyers to reach the outlet. I even have the short legs as you, but I am unconcerned on the bunching up due to all the squatting and bending that I know I'll be facing ahead.

Lucky me. I found what I wanted (White River chest waders; socking foot) and Bass Pro wader boots.

More good luck. Bass Pro had a 10% discount for signing up for their card, and I was able to add it to the 25% discount card they mailed out to Outdoor Writer's Association of America members (one of my professional organizations) two months ago. Add in the $5 coupon bonus I tore out of thier brochure on the way in.

I mauled them. Add in three river outfits for the new assignments I face this July.

Darn! I'll look good, but the fish won't give a rats-rear-end...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Simms

Simms will only do so much. If you are too far outside the norm they won't touch you. To me thats not what custom is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    Simms will only do so much. If you are too far outside the norm they won't touch you. To me thats not what custom is all about.
    Im sure they dont go far outside the norm...but Im not an Ewok from starwars. Im filipino .

I should at least speak to them to see if they can do what I want.

About the only negative about Simms is the price...they're on the spendy side. Good stuff though.