Thread: zodiacs

Default zodiacs

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum.... Mike, if it isn't can you please move to the right spot??

I am looking for advise on small zodiac type boats for coastal use. It would be in PWS or Kodiak, in the protected waters just to move two guys around the shorelines looking for bear and deer...

weight is a big issue as I would be flying in to the areas... I was looking at the small zodiac tenders about 8ft... they weigh about 46lbs, carry 3 guys and have a max of 4HP. not looking to get up on step or travel great distances just cruise around right offshore.

thoughts?? thanks

Greg

I had a Zoom 310 which was great for two people a little gear and breaks down easily. Think it was about 85lbs, but you sepearte the floor boards from the boat it is really easy to carry and ship.

Yea, I am looking at the zoom 240.... do you think that is too small for what I am looking for?? It's hard for me to tell.... thx

Greg

Default Alaska Series 270TDS Tender 50 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by AkGreg View Post
    I'm not sure if this is in the right forum.... Mike, if it isn't can you please move to the right spot??

I am looking for advise on small zodiac type boats for coastal use. It would be in PWS or Kodiak, in the protected waters just to move two guys around the shorelines looking for bear and deer...

weight is a big issue as I would be flying in to the areas... I was looking at the small zodiac tenders about 8ft... they weigh about 46lbs, carry 3 guys and have a max of 4HP. not looking to get up on step or travel great distances just cruise around right offshore.

thoughts?? thanks

Greg
    Hi Greg,
    I just sent you a private message about the Alaska Series 270TDS Tender with the Grizzly claw armor bottom. I designed to handle the PWS barnacle beaches. This boat weights 50 pounds and works well with a 5hp outboard. The 270TDS Tender has the same inside space as the 290 size sport boat.
    I think this boat might fits your needs real well. http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

I'd suggest hitting a store that has the boat and putting a couple of people in it, the 8 foot boats are really small not to say they won't fit the bill. I would only think of taking the boat short distances with two folks with next to nothing for gear. 10 foot is a better fit for 2, and 12.5 a better fit for three. Just my opinion but lay it on the floor when you look at it then get in it, Jeff Kings boat would be nice and he normally has his smaller boats on the floor when he shows them. I saw him at the Carlson Center in Fairbanks yesterday for the outdoor show. Look at his and the others they all have benefits.

Default zodiac

hmmm seems some questions aren't asked here that might help;

1. how much weight are you limited to?
    i own a older 14' mark 2 zodiac (pvc boat) thats about 180lbs that i fly out with, and with a 25hp 2 stroke motor that doesn't weigh too much more. all told with fuel, motor, and boat i think i'm right about 350lbs.

2. how much area are you looking to cover?
    a small tender like above is probably your best bet if not going far but if you need to cover any amount of area going slow really sucks. i've had my zodiac on step with that 25hp and about 2200lbs on the tanana (i couldn't have fit even another shoe on it).

3. how long do you want the boat to last you?
    my zodiac has seen some abuse in the past years and is still holding strong, but i don't dare leave it out in the sun year long and i am very careful to pull it out of the water or put it on a long line on the coast due to sharp barnacles, i am also careful on interior rivers for underwater obstacles that may puncture it. it doesn't have any rubber straking on the bottom like the alaska series rafts but thats more weight too. in short my limited experience has been that hypalon sure helps and rubber straking is very nice to have.

4. what kinda price are you limited to?
    i've been looking for another zodiac or same style boat for a few months myself now and if you're cheap like me new zodiac's are very pricey, used tenders aren't easy to find but you can find decent deals on used zodiac's, avon's, or achilles rafts.

but all being said i love my zodiac, and everyone thats been on it has been impressed. and everyone that i know that owns a zodiac loves em.... even for fly outs.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbiinc View Post
    hmmm seems some questions aren't asked here that might help;

1. how much weight are you limited to?
    i own a older 14' mark 2 zodiac (pvc boat) thats about 180lbs that i fly out with, and with a 25hp 2 stroke motor that doesn't weigh too much more. all told with fuel, motor, and boat i think i'm right about 350lbs.

2. how much area are you looking to cover?
    a small tender like above is probably your best bet if not going far but if you need to cover any amount of area going slow really sucks. i've had my zodiac on step with that 25hp and about 2200lbs on the tanana (i couldn't have fit even another shoe on it).

3. how long do you want the boat to last you?
    my zodiac has seen some abuse in the past years and is still holding strong, but i don't dare leave it out in the sun year long and i am very careful to pull it out of the water or put it on a long line on the coast due to sharp barnacles, i am also careful on interior rivers for underwater obstacles that may puncture it. it doesn't have any rubber straking on the bottom like the alaska series rafts but thats more weight too. in short my limited experience has been that hypalon sure helps and rubber straking is very nice to have.

4. what kinda price are you limited to?
    i've been looking for another zodiac or same style boat for a few months myself now and if you're cheap like me new zodiac's are very pricey, used tenders aren't easy to find but you can find decent deals on used zodiac's, avon's, or achilles rafts.

but all being said i love my zodiac, and everyone thats been on it has been impressed. and everyone that i know that owns a zodiac loves em.... even for fly outs.

Great questions, thanks....

1. I'd like to be under 150 lbs. boat and motor

2. Small areas, just moving around the beaches in coves from camp. probably no more than 2-3 miles in a day.

3. Want high quality to last..

4. See item 3 above . willing to pay for the right gear. I'm done trying to get away cheap on gear... I have learned my lesson on that one...

Greg

Saw 5hp honda 4 stroke and show on Friday for about $1500, the 310 Zooms are $1000. A couple of good lifejackets, a spare foot pump and repair kit and you be boating for about $2750. I had the same set up and after owning it for 4 years sold it for $2200. All would be under 150lbs.
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 04-20-2008 at 17:45. Reason: spelling

Default Love my Zodiac

This one is over weight by your posts, but in 1982, I bought a 12.5 ft Zodiac MKII GR, it weights 180. I ran a 35 on it for years and now run a 15, it still works great, even in the Copper River canyon at Chitina. I tried it a few times on lakes with a 4 hp and it does well but not on step.
    I would take this boat anywhere.. and I have taken it too many places to name, and so far from shore I questioned my own sanity. I've fished halibut with 4 adults, drift dipnetted the copper with 3, joyride with up to 6, and hauled it in cars,vans, pickups, 4 & 6 wheelers and airplanes.
    It is by far so much more versatile than a 8 or 10 footer, but it does cost in weight. It's a boat you will use in many situations. Over 25 years on an inflatable is something I never imagined. Not to say it isn't a bit floppy at times but she still goes fishing. Chitina, here we come..

Default more

i don't have much info or experience with the smaller tenders myself, but i've heard a lot of good things on the zoom series and both alaska outfitters and alaska series sell some nice quality smaller tenders like you'd be interested in, if you did a search here no doubt you could find info on both.

alaska outfitters seem to be a bit cheaper, just cost, not quality (don't know that i should post that view here though).

Default 9'6" West Marine

Might want to also look at the 9'6" West marine made by Zodiac with air floor abot 65 lbs rated to 10 HP if I am not mistaken. Price wise your looking at about 1K - 1.4K. 5 year no fualt warranty.

Varse brought one up to the Fairbanks show nice little boat.

Just food for thought! He might be giving a show special as well still.

Just food for thought.

Default SBIINC: Can you give specifics?

Quote Originally Posted by sbiinc View Post
    i don't have much info or experience with the smaller tenders myself, but i've heard a lot of good things on the zoom series and both alaska outfitters and alaska series sell some nice quality smaller tenders like you'd be interested in, if you did a search here no doubt you could find info on both.

alaska outfitters seem to be a bit cheaper, just cost, not quality (don't know that i should post that view here though).
    Sbiinc, Can you be more specific on which model boat(s) 6th Ave had priced better than mine?

Boat to boat on the Tenders, Seward and Alaskan sport boats; I was pretty sure I had 6th Ave beat by $50 to $200 dollars. That was also the feedback I got from the customers at the Fairbanks outdoor show.

Your more specific feedback would be quite helpful.

With the Price War going on, Iíve kept my pricing pencil pretty sharp . Always trying to make sure I have the better price, even though I incorporate a lot of additional durability features into my boats that 6th Ave cuts costs on by leaving out.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900