Thread: Yukon River Moose Hunt near Ruby

Default Yukon River Moose Hunt near Ruby

My dad and I drew a moose tag in unit 21d (rm816) for this fall. We have a 21' Woolridge jet boat and plan to access the hunt from the Dalton hwy bridge.

Where should we start in our planning process? Fuel amounts needed, supply needs, best hunting options, risk factors, etc?

Tim

Hey Tim, glad you made it on here OK. I think you will find this place kind of addictive!! Did your Dad get that big brownie back from the taxidermist yet? If memory serves, he was doing a full mount, right?
    Well, I'm sure there will be some info coming to here pretty quick. Later.. When are we going riding??
    EricL

Man Tim, I just did some quick measuring on my Mapsource from the bridge and the Yukon Camp bridge to Ruby and I come up with 226 miles 1 way. That's going to be quite a trip!! Do you need an "official photographer"??
    EricL

The aprox mileages are 140mi from the bridge to Tanana and 80 to Ruby. When I hunted the Nowitna I carried 3 55gal drums, 2 15 gal, and a full belly tank (50 gal) in a 21' hewes inboard. I burned 65gal to Tanana and topped off with gas there, then burned 40 gal to the Nowitna.

Personally I only haul the fuel I need to get to Tanana then fuel up there and get to Ruby. Then fuel up again hauling the fuel I need. Dont concentrate so much on side sloughs and rivers like everyone thinks you have to. There is plenty of moose right on the river itself and you wont see much for hunters. I think it is a waste on the boat and motor to just haul fuel to save a few bucks. Plus you weigh more if you do stick it on a sand bar.

Tanana takes me 4 hours from the bridge and is an easy run. The stretch below Tanana can be a little tricky. Go in the Tanana store and ask the owner I forget his name where the channel is he will show you on your map.

Plan on hunting the Kokrine hills side between Tanana and Ruby if your before the 15th as thats where the moose will be. Not sure exactly where your tag is but I have hunted it a few times and always done well.

Tanana to Ruby is more like a 120 miles, the Novi is 80 miles below Tanana. I came up with about 250 miles from the bridge to Ruby. Doug

My logs show the bridge to Tanana - 123 Miles / Tanana to Ruby - 120 miles.

Im there with Rambling Raven on mileage. Then it's 52 to Galena

Its 269 from the bridge to Galena

Hi Doug, Thanks for the infor - very much appreciated. This is our first time down the Yukon. Do you know if the river is hard to navigate? Gravel bars? We are taking our River boat down to the Yuki river. Any advice? Thanks again, Tim

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated. Do you have any information regarding the Yuki river? We are planning a moose trip. Is the Yukon fairly easy to navigate with a 21' Jet boat? Any advice? Thanks again Tim