Thread: downriggers on aluminum skiffs

Default downriggers on aluminum skiffs

howdy...just got two Canon manual downriggers (laketroll/easitroll) and now I need to mount them on our 18' Klamath. I simply want to mount them solidly, permanently and comfortably. I've looked around and talked with a few folks, but what I would like to see are pictures of how others have done this on their smaller sized skiff with gunnals.
    Seems like a piece of welded angled aluminum attached via a base plate both to your seat (in the back) and the side of your boat below the gunnal might be the way to do it.

any suggestions and pics?

thanks!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I suggest you mount them as far forward in the fishing cockpit as you can. The cable will not hang straight down when trolling they will always be swept back the deeper you drop them the further back they will swing running a heavier ball or the thin type canon ball does help. If you run a trolling motor when making your turns the cable can hit the prop and sever you downrigger cable. If you install swivel mounts they will swivel straight back and it makes it easier to put on or remove the canon balls. That is my advice and I am sticking to it.
    Mike

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Here is a picture of my mount and bracket sorry I don't have any with the downrigger mounted. If I had it to do over I would have had the braket another foot closer to the front. I have not hit my prop yet but it has been close. When the weather is bad and real windy the boat can get pushed around by gusts and it always has me cringing. The fish picture is from a few years ago probably not picture worthy to you Alaska guys.

Default If was going to do it over

I agree with Gundog mount them as far foward as you can, I don't have pictures but I mounted mine in the back of the boat. Look great out of the water but then found that mounting them foward and having the choice of running pink ladies out the back would have been better. Oh well learn something new every day. Good luck