Thread: Your sheep hunting pack- dollar per ounce ratio?

Default Your sheep hunting pack- dollar per ounce ratio?

So we all know that the more money you spend the lighter your pack becomes! So the question is, how many dollars have you traded for ounces this year! So far I've spent 185 bucks on some nice compact binos and shaved a pound. I also have some other plans but this is it so far.

185 bucks for 16ozs equals $11.56 per oz

I might try a 4 oz small tripod for about 15 bucks that would shave another pound. That's only a buck an ounce! That would be pretty good and improve my dollar per ounce average

What's your "dollar per ounce" ratio?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default My most & least expensive dollar per ounce.

Bought a Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL 3 tent to replace my Sierra Designs Firestorm tent. Saved 20 oz and was able to sell the Firestorm for $150 and the Emerald Mountain cost $330 so it was $180/20 comes out to $9/ounce.

Least expensive was buying a Zeiss 65mm Diascope w/15X45 eyepiece for $850 to replace my $1200 Swarovoski ST 80 mm. Saved 14 ounces. For -$25/ounce.

I had lots of room to improve in this category and thanks to some poker winnings, some money to spend.

I bought a Barney's pack (still waiting on it) that will save me 3 pounds and give me 2600 extra cubic inches. This was $500.

I bought a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT, that I just picked up last night, that will give me more room, save almost 2 lbs., and cost me just under $600.

I have two purchases to go before the season starts. Last year I sold my 85mm Zeiss spotter, nice but on the heavy side. I'm looking for something down in the 62-65mm size at around 2lbs. I'm also leaving the waders at home this year and getting a pair of lightweight waders, probably from Wiggy's. This will cost me $60-120 bucks and save about 6 lbs.

I have spent alot of $$$ but havent shaved any weight! Whats up with that????grin

Default Give me a break.

Are you serious, or just truly that bored and have nothing better to do? Man, grab some of that super duper low # per cost ratio gear and go outside and use it.

You guys "talk" about it way to much!

Kevin.

Default Probably True

Quote Originally Posted by mountainair View Post
    Are you serious, or just truly that bored and have nothing better to do? Man, grab some of that super duper low # per cost ratio gear and go outside and use it.

Kevin.
    Kevin,

You now doubt right that we probably "talk" about this way too much. But whatelse am I going to do from the control board when the plant is running smoothly.

This was supposed to be one of those "funny, sad but true" threads. You know, musing about the irony. I guess I didn't put enough emoticons in my original post. But, ya, I was bored the other day and for another 15 weeks I will be talking about sheep hunting and all it's ironies. I'd have gotten back to you earlier today but I was too busy skiing my butt off getting a sunburn! Man what a great day on the slopes in Fairbanks.

Is it possible to talk about sheep hunting too much??

Quote Originally Posted by mountainair View Post

Kevin.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Kevin,

You now doubt right that we probably "talk" about this way too much. But whatelse am I going to do from the control board when the plant is running smoothly.
    No kidding, I replied to Perry on this thread about 30 minutes before extinguishing a fully involved Blackhawk last night, gotta pass time somehow at work between the excitement!....grin

This might not be popular but your talking about dollar per ounce ratio's not sheep hunting. Personally I use the same pack for every thing but hauling out moose, a Dana design terraplane that I've owned for years. When it wears out I'll factor in weight but price, durability, and versatility are at least as big a factor too me as my family can not afford for me to have different packs for different sports.

BTW My moose / freight pack is an old external frame with bags I made myself, Dad gave me the frame when I was in boy scouts.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Sheese, doesn't anyone even get a chuckle out of "dollar per ounce ratio"?? I thought I'd get a few laughs out this. If you read through these threads you see guys talking about gear and it's weight and it's cost. It boils down to trading dollars for ounces. Kind of funny if you ask me. It's a sheep hunting thing myself and many are guilty of. The question: "How do I shave some weight off my sheep hunting pack?" The answer: "Trade some dollars for ounces". I just find it all quite amusing. You guys are taking me way to seriously.

Snyd

Man is your post a load off my mind! I know I'm on the bottom of the tech oriented people list but I thought you had lost your mind! Been alternately laughing at how gear oriented my fellow high country hunters are and being appalled that my fellow high country hunters were that gear oriented. I don't care what you say drilling holes in your tooth brush and silverware is nuts too BTW. The intent of my post was too bring some reality back too the conversation.

So I'm doing a couple of walk in hunts and might be helping pack out for a fly in. Trying a new spot this year and I can't wait to get out and do some scouting!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I bought a new tent this past winter but didn't manage to shave off any weight, might have actually added a few but I don't care about that stuff. Also picked up about 30 packs of Mountain House meals so if we don't kill a sheep we at least won't go hungry. Don't really care for them but I didn manage to get some new flavors to try this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Sheese, doesn't anyone even get a chuckle out of "dollar per ounce ratio"?? I thought I'd get a few laughs out this. If you read through these threads you see guys talking about gear and it's weight and it's cost. It boils down to trading dollars for ounces. Kind of funny if you ask me. It's a sheep hunting thing myself and many are guilty of. The question: "How do I shave some weight off my sheep hunting pack?" The answer: "Trade some dollars for ounces". I just find it all quite amusing. You guys are taking me way to seriously.
    Most people think you don't have a sense of humor snyd. You rarely show it.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Most people think you don't have a sense of humor snyd. You rarely show it.

Ok, I'll try harder. I guess I need to learn how to use the emoticons more