Thread: Best combo for 15K (2 atv +trailer)

Default Best combo for 15K (2 atv +trailer)

I am going nuts without an ATV and I hate leaving the wife at home so I think I am going to break down and pick up a couple new wheelers. I need 2 new ATV's the bigger and badder the better! I don't need them to match since one will be for me and one for the wife. I am budgeting 15 K for a complete package 2 wheelers on a 2 place trailer. (Note my wife is not one to want to be towed through a bog so no sissy rig.) I am not a brand loyal guy so I am just looking for the best deal! Mainly posting this to see what others have been able to negotiate.

You should be able to do okay with that budget. Here is a suggestion.
    • 700 Yamaha Grizzly @ $8000
    • 450 Yamaha Grizzly @ $6000
    • snowmachine trailer @ $1000 <used
    Call Mike at Alaska House of Yamaha in Big Lake. He's the only one that would discount machines when I bought mine.

Craigs list always has used snowmachine trailers for under $1000.

I know someone selling a rhino for half of your budget.

You have a few choices but to be realistic, 15K for 2 "new" ATVs will limit your choices and will not leave any room for winches or aftermarket goodies. As for a trailer, you have too many options to list. I would look at a used trailer on craigslist. I bought a new aluminum 10'x12' tilt bed a few years ago for $1800.00. It was a great trailer but I needed something bigger as soon as I bought my 2007 Rhino 660. I upgraded to a 16' v-nose trailer for $3500.00 last year and could not be happier. No matter what trailer you choose, make sure it has 15 inch tires at a minimum. The trailers with 12 and 13 inch tires will come apart on you if you drive them at hwy speeds.

For the record, Performance Yamaha in Wasilla discounted my 2007 Rhino 660 (purchased April 07) and my 2007 Grizzly 700 (purchased August 07). Go talk to "Ben" at Performance Yamaha and tell him what your budget is. He will do his best to make you happy!

Although I am partial to Yamaha, here are a few I would consider that will fit your budget...

Yamaha Grizzly 700 with Electronic Power Steering - $8,299.00
    Yamaha Grizzly 450 - $6299.00
    Yamaha Big Bear 400 - $5699.00

Suzuki King Quad 750 - $7599.00
    Suzuki King Quad 450 - $6599.00
    Suzuki King Quad 400 (auto) - $5399.00

Honda Rincon 675 - $7849.00
    Honda Rubicon 500 - $7349.00
    Honda Foreman ES 475 - $6649.00
    Honda Foreman ES 475 with Power Steering - $7049.00
    Honda Rancher ES 420 - $5599.00

Kawasaki Brute Force 750 - $7799.00
    Kawasaki Brute Force 650 - $7099.00

Arctic Cat 700 EFI- $7749.00
    Arctic Cat 650H1 - $6999.00
    Arctic Cat 500 Auto - $6699.00

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default Craiglist

Being as you are already a Craig's list addict , I'd just watch that. Should be no problem picking up two decent bikes for under 10K and through in a 1,000 two place you'd be good to go. Heck that '02 Vinson you rode with the ITPs, winch, and a wheeler trailer I picked up for $3500. Hard to justify going new when there are so many good bikes used that have already gotten the majority of the depreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Being as you are already a Craig's list addict , I'd just watch that. Should be no problem picking up two decent bikes for under 10K and through in a 1,000 two place you'd be good to go. Heck that '02 Vinson you rode with the ITPs, winch, and a wheeler trailer I picked up for $3500. Hard to justify going new when there are so many good bikes used that have already gotten the majority of the depreciation.

Amen! I have picked up 4 ATVs and a trailer to hold all of them for under 20. And they are all in excellent shape. A lot of guys seem to buy bikes for their wives and then end up selling them. You can get some really good deals.

Yeah I hear you all on the craigslist front, the only problem is I am hoping to use one of the 24 month special payment promotions that the dealerships are running. i would pay basically intrest only for this year so I can at least be riding! By the end of the month I will have one truck refinanced and the other paid off by October. That will free up about $700 a month for play $$ (I might even put some of that in a retirement paln). Long story short I can't afford a conventional ATV loan untill October which is pretty much past hunting and fishing season.

Check in to the Can Am Outlander series. Tons of power and they have the financing deal you are looking for going on. I've been riding a friends for some time and finally was able to pick one up for me. I got the two up 800 Max so my wife and or kids can ride with me. If they still have an 07 left over you can get a good deal, I did (Alaska mining and diving). The ride and power have to be experienced to appreciate. I don't know if you'll be able to make your budget with two new machines though. It really depends on what you want. I can tell you a 400 is plenty for most people, the 500 and 650 I have not ridden but am told the 650 is a lot of machine.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yeah I hear you all on the craigslist front, the only problem is I am hoping to use one of the 24 month special payment promotions that the dealerships are running. i would pay basically intrest only for this year so I can at least be riding! By the end of the month I will have one truck refinanced and the other paid off by October. That will free up about $700 a month for play $$ (I might even put some of that in a retirement paln). Long story short I can't afford a conventional ATV loan untill October which is pretty much past hunting and fishing season.
    Just a hint from someone who's been there. Take the 700/month and pay off other debts instead of building more debt. Took me 4 years and 3 months but I'm now debt free except a mortgage. It didn't feel good at the time to not buy toys............but now I pay cash when I want one.

Definately good advice AKKCCHIEF... I don't tend to carry debt very long and the wife and I don't have any other hangups financially. No smoking, drinking, eating out, shoes, etc. We put our money into getting out and doing things. It's all about priorities. You won't hear me talking about what machine to buy on here again either. What we get will be our rides untill my kids get big enough to ride them safely. So far we are most impressed with the A/C's. We are looking at getting a 500 and 650 both with winches and an 8x10 aluminum trailer out the door for 15,100. Yamaha was going to send us down the road with a 660 and a 400 griz with a comperable trailer but no winches for a couple hundred $$ more. Biggest thing there is the wife didn't like the small frame. I think that boils down to her not wanting to get high centered in stuff the bigger griz would go right through. I may give suzuki a chance but I doub't that I will visit the honda or polaris shops. I can't get over the problems I had with my old 94 polaris, and I can't see spending this much $$ going down a road I have allready traveled, it probably unfounded but.... Any one have feedback on the stability and trail manners of the big chassis cats?

I don't know if mine is a "big" chassis Cat. Its a 400 with the dump bed built in. We bought it new at Anch. Suzuki-Arctic Cat. It engine is a Suzuki in fact they usually sell me a Suzuki Oil filter instead of Arctic Cat. The Suspension is great rides as smooth as a Polaris. When crawling in the rough stuff it really excels. We don't have an engine brake , if one is offered I highly recommend one. The rear end breather pukes oil done it since new dealer says no big deal but oil kinda gets everywhere. Might ask if they fixed that since 06.

In rough terrain its the most stable machine I've ridden. So far whenever it follows my 6-wheeler its only needed winching once.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author