Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Light Weight Rfifle

Default Best Light Weight Rfifle

Well now, I’m sure there aren’t many opinions on this… but just out of curiosity I was wondering what folks thought was the best light weight “mountain” rifle. Please try to explain your choice more along the lines of *why this rifle is* my choice as opposed to *why that rifle isn’t*… Of course this is a comparison question so the pluses and the minus’s should both be weighed… kinda like a presidential election but I think we have better choices with rifles than presidential candidates (did I really say that?) Anyway, be smarter than yer keyboard.

…and remember, my gun is better than yer gun

Default OK

Your gun is better than my gun,BUT mine will shoot farther and faster !
    If you want the ultimate light weight production rifle you'll probably have to check out Ultra Light Arms. There's is light and offers a wide variety of calibers, downside is MOM won't by me one and my allowance won't either. LOL BUT, if I find enough gold this summer !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

"The Best" is a very subjective statement but for me the best is

The Kimber Montana.....right at 7lbs with scope and full belly of ammo. 3-position safety, CRF action, adjustable trigger, blind mag, and Kevlar composite stock. Obviously without getting into some super high $$$$ rifles like NULA's, the direct competitors for the same use would be the Rem Ti and the Sako Finnlite (when I bought mine). Neither of them have a 3-position safety, neither are CRF, and the Sako comes with a standard plastic tupperware stock as opposed to a custom equivalent stock.

Doing what it was meant to do!

Nice pic Cub, but you need a bigger scope on that outfit so it can collect more blood drops.... grin

It twasnt that big , it was a VX-III 3.5-10x40 with a target elevation Turret. That scope isn't on it anymore. The darn target turret kept digging into me strapped to the pack via Gunbearer.

Question ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Nice pic Cub, but you need a bigger scope on that outfit so it can collect more blood drops.... grin
    Hey Cub, that wouldn't happen to be your own eye brow blood now would it?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Nope that would be sheep droplets during the butchering, that came from the white spot down below me in the background here!...grin

Default OK

Nice rifle, But it still weighs about a pound more than a Model 20 ULA arms, in the same ready condition.
    In my days as an outdoorsman, I've never figured out why a hunter would need a safety with 3 positions. The 3 position safety was designed for military use and has just carried over. If a true sportsman follows the rules of gun safety, he shouldn't need a safety at all. The brain is far better safety than any mechanical gizmo, WHEN USED.
    That the safety prohibits the firing pin from falling,or trigger from being pulled is NOT relagated only to Mauser 3 position style safetys.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Those NULA's are sweet I wont argue with that, but as hard as I am on a gun and even wth as much money as I spend on chit, the $2300 price tag still made me cringe a bit!

Default Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Those NULA's are sweet I wont argue with that, but as hard as I am on a gun and even wth as much money as I spend on chit, the $2300 price tag still made me cringe a bit!
    That's why I can only dream ! And I use a Tikka T3 LITE, I'm poor.

They have one at Sportsmans in Fbks, and I fondle it from time to time!...grin

OK, confesion time, this was supposed to be a poll, but with all my forum experteeze, it didn't work out... but this is just as good. The options on the poll ranged.. let me think... Rem Ti, Rem LSS, SAKO Finnlight, Tikka Lite, Kimber Montana, Savage Weather Warrior/Hunter, Browning X-Bolt (which i think shows a lot of promise) Ruger Ultra, and OTHER. With the SAKO being on the high $$$ end... However discussion about NULA's, HS Presicion are fine........Have at it

Default I WANT One

I've always wanted one in 284, I think that would make just about the ultimate sheep/goat/deer rifle/.
    Sorry, I really ain't trying to hijack your thread .

I will add an honest thought though. That NULA is so light that it makes me wonder at what point is long range marksmanship affected by a rifle being too light. Seriously, how light is light enough? It's kinda like using a spotting scope on 60X with no tripod if you know what I mean. It's nice to shave weight but at what point do you sacrifice shootability? I love the idea of the NULA but when shouldering it, it s kind of hard to steady, and though we all would optimally like to use a rest when shooting in the field but its not always possible. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Seriously, how light is light enough? It's kinda like using a spotting scope on 60X with no tripod if you know what I mean. It's nice to shave weight but at what point do you sacrifice shootability?
    Really good question... the prevailing thought is... "the longer the shot, the heavier the barrel" and *generally* speaking that's probably true, I think the bottom line is the whole *shooting system*, bullet, rifle/barrel, scope, shooter, to maybe over simplify things. One needs to know ones limits... grin

Default Best lightweight mountain gun....

is the one I have on swap and sell.

Weatherby mark V lightweight in .06.
    Mine weighs 6lbs 2oz. with scope and sling. The build quality is fantastic and it just feels good.

Hate to part with mine....
    Last edited by fullkurl; 10-25-2008 at 00:08.

Default Agreed

[quote=AlaskaCub;252867]I will add an honest thought though. That NULA is so light that it makes me wonder at what point is long range marksmanship affected by a rifle being too light. Seriously, how light is light enough? It's kinda like using a spotting scope on 60X with no tripod if you know what I mean. It's nice to shave weight but at what point do you sacrifice shootability? I love the idea of the NULA but when shouldering it, it s kind of hard to steady, and though we all would optimally like to use a rest when shooting in the field but its not always possible. Food for thought.[/quote
    If I had my way you could just press a button when it came time to shoot and the rifle would instantly weigh 8 1/2 lbs. Then press the button again to carry and it weighs 3 lbs. BUT, I carry a rifle a lot more than I shoot it. So,I'll just have to find a rock or a tree to compensate, IF possible. AND dream!

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    That's why I can only dream ! And I use a Tikka T3 LITE, I'm poor.
    Same here. You can just about get two Tikkas in two different calibers for the price of one Kimber. Although I'm sure Kimber is twice the gun just can't justify it right now.

I have been going through this with my 2 staple hunting rigs. The Kimber 300WSM and my Ruger 338WM that I have done much work to and shoot extremely well. But my problem is that everytime I am heading afield I start off thinking that I am taking the Ruger but I keep on picking up the Kimber instead. Carrying a light rig a lot will mess a fella up!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Same here. You can just about get two Tikkas in two different calibers for the price of one Kimber. Although I'm sure Kimber is twice the gun just can't justify it right now.
    How do you think I got the Kimber??? I sold 2 of the Tikkas in this picture to buy it!...<grin> It was a little reverse psychology, I bought 2 Tikkas instead of a Kimber and then later on I sold em to get the Kimber, it was my plan all along!....grin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast