Thread: kings

Default kings

hey guys,
    I have made a few posts here in the past few months and I appreciate all the responses. Now I have a new question. I have concentrated mostly on halibut in my past research, now I am interested in the salmon. I will be doing ALOT of fishing in the cook inlet this summer. I have read every possible method of catching salmon, However I have not found anything that tells me Where to find salmon. Are these fish structure oriented. mobile and following bait pods, points and humps? Sorry guys. I am lost and just looking for a starting point when I get there in mid may. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by reelintense View Post
    hey guys,
    I have made a few posts here in the past few months and I appreciate all the responses. Now I have a new question. I have concentrated mostly on halibut in my past research, now I am interested in the salmon. I will be doing ALOT of fishing in the cook inlet this summer. I have read every possible method of catching salmon, However I have not found anything that tells me Where to find salmon. Are these fish structure oriented. mobile and following bait pods, points and humps? Sorry guys. I am lost and just looking for a starting point when I get there in mid may. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Pretend you are fishing in your local lake at home. Do exactly what you would do to catch trout, but with salmon gear. Work points, look for birds, bait balls, other structure, and for goodness sake, don't forget that the best fishing is going to be a couple of hours before the tide and a couple after. If you are after kings, green seems to be their favorite color up hear in the ocean. By the way, you will find the salmon in the water

Default Look for the Bait

Look for bait and you will find the salmon. Troll through the pods from different directions and use your finder and
    gps to stay with them. When you hook a fish punch it into your gps and take a few more passes through the area. I have been chasing salmon for 20 years, but it was back in the great lakes. A king is a king though so I think that is what I would look for. Also look for structure that will concentrate bait fish, such as cliff faces and under water walls/channels.
    Another thing is to watch for birds and other boats, they're there for a reason.

"The best fishing is always a couple hours before the tide and a couple hours after"

Isn't it always a couple hours before or after a tide change?!?

Default Drifferent Rivers and Vary....

I have fished for kings in Tidewaters all over AK and Oregon... They all vary... Typically incoming fish will race the Low tide change in... maening at low slack or just before fish from the ocean will enter the estuary/ Tidewater at that time... Continue upstream or dead straight back out...

Often this occurs again sometime during the incoming and again at or near high slack... Again this can vary by location and proximity of freshwater to the Ocean. Many times fish will come in on incoming, hold then head upstream on high slack or as it ebbs out...

One thing is for certain, fish have patterns and once you figure them out... Good fishing will follow!