Thread: How's the Kasilof in spring?

Default How's the Kasilof in spring?

I'm heading down to Ninilchik May 10 for a halibut charter on the 11th and thought I might wet a line in the Kasilof while I'm there...anybody have intel on what the river might have to offer that early in the season?

I figured possibly spring steelhead or dollies, and possibly (not probably) an early king.

Am I off base?

John

Default A little early, but

I know you can catch steelies at that time, but they are pretty tired, at least the ones I have caught around that time. Kings are in , but it's a little early and you will have to work for them. This is what I remember, as I have only drifted the Kasilof the first few weeks of May several times. They start slamming pretty good them from crooked creek down later in the month, I think the first run goes mostly to crooked creek (the people hole).
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Thanks

Maybe I'll just go clamming...

John, You have the right idea about stopping at the Kasilof. Some steelhead are a bit sluggish sometimes, but not always. They are almost entirely holdovers. The first kings of the season are always taken by the 2nd of May by Crooked Creek. There are also some dollies caught. Kings are a long shot though until about the 15th to 20th of May. Good luck if you try it. Cod