Thread: Haul Road and camping with the family

Default Haul Road and camping with the family

Im heading up in August with my uncle and would like to bring the wife and kid along for the trip. My kid is one. Any thought on if this is wise or not. We have a Cabelas Guide tent. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks

Default Therma Cell/Bugs

When you cross the Arctic Circle you will certainly stop for a picture, driving break, there are also restrooms there.
    As you walk around waiting on your companions. You'll undoubtedly walk to the lovely signs behind the large sign.

One of them sums up the region rather well:

"... Every spring BILLIONS of Mosquitoes form RELENTLESS HORDES..."

I don't remember ANYTHING else about the data on those signs.

Everyone get's a therma cell.

Default Conditions, Temp, etc.

While I don't know your family... (that was my legal disclaimer, good one, no?)

Leaving from Anchorage, Fairbanks, S. America?
    Don't laugh I met some folks that drove from the Southern most point in S. America to Deadhorse. They started in April, and were pulling into the Arctic Circle in early August.

I drive from Anchorage.
    I try to spend the night in Fairbanks - just to break the trip up.
    From Fairbanks to Galbraith is 10 hours or so.
    I have drove straight through - takes about 18 hours to get to Galbraith (driving the posted limits)

With that... Does your Uncle travel well? How bout the youngin?

Weather...
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA
    Weather Varies greatly. Be prepared for just about anything.
    Warm, Sunny
    Rain and Wind
    Snow and Cold
    All in the same week! hehe

Play the boyscout - if for nothing else but to keep everyone happy, comfortable and have a safe/enjoyable trip.

It's a long trip, but I have always enjoyed the drive.
    Even when we blew three tires within about 50 miles.
    OR the time I had to drive 10 mph from Coldfoot to the Yukon because of the blizzard conditions (couldn't see more than 20 feet past my hood).
    There was the night I spent at the HOTEL de YUKON. Must be a five star, cost me $100 for the evening.

Default Characters

I believe the reason I continue to go back to the Haul Road is not just for the hunting.

The folks you'll meet, see, encounter. Whoo.

I am NOT a people person... but, jeeze - I can't help myself when on the Haul Road. Got to talk to...

The guy pulling a dolly with a suitcase on it. Apparently he started walking in Seattle, and was going to walk to Deadhorse.

The guy in a land rover with stickers from S. Africa on the side. Yep... his goal was to drive as many navigable roads as possible. Had to put the truck on a ship to get to the US. I don't even remember all the places he had driven.

Lot's of folks riding bikes from somewhere to get to Deadhorse.

The tourists who ride a bus either to or from Fairbanks/Deadhorse. See the wildlife, scenery, and take a plunge in the Arctic Ocean.
    By the way, if you see the bus... follow it to town if you're hungry. Coldfoot and Deadhorse both put out a HUGE spread (Prime Rib, Salmon, etc.) Tastes great when you've been eating Mt. House for a week!

There are MANY more stories... but those are some of my highlights!

Default Thanks for the help

So as long as we go prepared we should be ok. I will have plenty of extra fuel and im going to get a tent heater for the wife and little one. I have already warned her about the bugs but she loves being outside. Everyone travels fairly well. If theres any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitetail101 View Post
    I have already warned her about the bugs but she loves being outside.
    Those bugs can make anyone hate the outside... Protect you and yours from them or you will be doing a quick turnaround headed home.

100% Deet

Head-Body nets

Therma-Cell...*Didn't know these things worked up there*

Skintastic for the the little one doesn't even work in Fairbanks.... and 100% Deet even gets to me.

Good luck!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Bugs

Sorry but I have never seen the bugs that bad up there. Last time I never even used the Bens 100 for a week stay. If you live in an area where they spray or a city, and travel up there they might seem bad.

Good to have some protection, Thermal Cells do work. On the bear stands in Unit 13 they are priceless.

Be prepared for fuel to costs over $5.00 a gallon in Coldfoot. We are already at $4.58 in Valdez for diesel.

It is a beautiful trip though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thermacell, hands down is one product that I won't leave the house without
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If your wife and kid are going to be in camp while you are hunting..do yourself a favor and buy one of those screened in tents like this one. You, your wife and your one year old will be glad you did.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...107&hasJS=true

Default Suitcase Man

Stogey....when I read your post I fell off my chair!! We saw that guy just North of the Yukon bridge and couldn't stop laughing. Then pondered.....why. Almost turned around to ask.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by dangus View Post
    Stogey....when I read your post I fell off my chair!! We saw that guy just North of the Yukon bridge and couldn't stop laughing. Then pondered.....why. Almost turned around to ask.

Tony

What's more -- we only see the ones walking on the road. I'm sure if you talk with the Alyeska Security guys/gals they'll tell more about folks walking/biking the pipeline.

Of course, with the price of fuel this year, I might take a lesson from the folks walking

Just talked with my cousin last week. He had been driving the road for Carlile, but won't do it any more. He said it is turning into a true "Dalton 500" with all the new truck drivers hauling supplies on the road. I've been on the Dalton about 20 times this year so far, and can't believe the amount of big rig traffic, and it is only going to get worse. Problem is that so many of the drivers are new to the road, and they are driving the same as they did on the freeways in America. My poor truck is up to about 478 rock chips now, just about time for a new one. So my advice is to watch the truckers from a distance, and you can usually tell if they are really moving, so slow her down and pull off to the side.

And a tip on the good eats in Prudhoe... Sunday night is always prime rib night.